Premed 101 Forums

writing own lor

One of my referees has asked that I write the letter and he will put it on his letterhead and sign it. Any of you written your own letters before? Advice? Ideas? Dos? Don'ts?

Wow! This is an amazing opportunity and a daunting task. I personally feel that as long as the referee reads it and agrees with what you said that it is not unethical.

As far as content, it is difficult to write something like that about yourself. I had a referee tell me to send him a note explaining what he wanted me to say in his letter. What I did (and what I recommend) is I sent him a note telling him that I hoped he could comment on my integrity, professionalism, dependability, and candor. As well as my suitability for medical school and to what extent he would trust his family to my medical care. I told him that the best letters give a brief experience or two that he had with me that displayed to him specific traits of mine. I then made sure he knew he should only praise what he felt comfortable praising in me. That he should omit any characteristic I asked him to comment on if he did not feel he has observed that in me and that he may comment on any other thing he wishes.

I got a pimp letter out of it.

What do you want that referee to say about you? Is there anything you think your other referees may not be able to say about you that you want the adcom to know? Write that.

One of my referees has asked that I write the letter and he will put it on his letterhead and sign it. Any of you written your own letters before? Advice? Ideas? Dos? Don'ts?

Haha I have had the same thing happen. I mean its great you know whats going in there, but at the same time, I have no idea what one is supposed to look like and include!

Wow! This is an amazing opportunity and a daunting task. I personally feel that as long as the referee reads it and agrees with what you said that it is not unethical.

As far as content, it is difficult to write something like that about yourself. I had a referee tell me to send him a note explaining what he wanted me to say in his letter. What I did (and what I recommend) is I sent him a note telling him that I hoped he could comment on my integrity, professionalism, dependability, and candor. As well as my suitability for medical school and to what extent he would trust his family to my medical care. I told him that the best letters give a brief experience or two that he had with me that displayed to him specific traits of mine. I then made sure he knew he should only praise what he felt comfortable praising in me. That he should omit any characteristic I asked him to comment on if he did not feel he has observed that in me and that he may comment on any other thing he wishes.

What do you want that referee to say about you? Is there anything you think your other referees may not be able to say about you that you want the adcom to know? Write that.

solid advice no doubt. merci

Instead of a laundry list of your great qualities, why not include sotries about you that illustrate your compassion, initiative, ability to withstand the rigours of studying and practicing medicine, ending up say why this person would go to you as his/her physician. You have ben given an opportnity and a gift, use it well.

this is awesome!

Lol...in high school I was asked to write the evaluation on a student intern (my chemistry teacher didn't want to do it!). I can only imagine how much more difficult it will be to write about yourself--and that includes negative points. Many med schools don't like perfect letters--they don't believe they're credible.

Most schools don't want the applicant to view the letters--and my references agree--it takes away from the integrity of the letter. People are more apt to be "less honest" when they know the applicant will view the letter.

Haha I can't believe this thread. Is it a joke? I would find someone else to write me a letter.

I think this is more common than you think - I have one person I originally asked for a letter of reference do the same thing. Feeling very awkward I came up with similar to what youngdad is suggesting, where I didn't actually write a LOR for myself (I don't know if doing that is ethical or not, but it does feel wrong to me) but make a serious of suggestions.

Another one wanted me to proof read the LOR before it got sent. That felt just as strange. Maybe I just picked people that were so busy they didn't think they could do it justice with the time they had. I knew both of the people involved for years so it wasn't a matter of them not knowing me.

They must've been very busy. One of my LORs came from an attending surgeon who, in between the OR, cysto, research, and lectures had time to write me a letter. It makes me wonder if it is a matter of willingness. If I really wanted to write a letter for someone I would make the time to do so. It's a letter, not a book.

They must've been very busy. One of my LORs came from an attending surgeon who, in between the OR, cysto, research, and lectures had time to write me a letter. It makes me wonder if it is a matter of willingness. If I really wanted to write a letter for someone I would make the time to do so. It's a letter, not a book.

Probably more just fear of getting something that "important" wrong but he was busy (launching a new software product line at work and we were all doing 80 hour weeks - I joke that I am going into medicine so I can get some more time off :)) First time anyone asked him for a LOR as well.

Yeah... sorry I'm not trying to judge. I just hear about it a lot and I'm glad I wasn't in that position.

Yeah, in my opinion it isn't much fun. You line up someone and plan to ask them for a LOR, he/she knows you for years and has worked with you closely and when the big moment comes you are hit with this. Certainly not what is supposed to happen :)

That awkward feeling is why I would never actually write my own LOR (among other reasons). Suggest a template as it was his first time doing one and some ideas of what they are supposed to contain maybe - even that feels weird.

It's not as uncommon as you think. I've had to write close to half a dozen for myself. It sucks but it let's you highlight what you think is important instead of submitting redundant letters, and also gives your PI some insight as to what you think about yourself. Take advantage of it and write a killer one.

I'm sure it happens a lot, I consider it ethically questionable though esp. since unlike other LORs, you are not even supposed to have read these ones.

That being said, doesn't look like they're given a whole lot of weight anyways.

Well if you can do it, might as well take advantage. I don't think its a matter of ethics at all - but that's highly personal. If someone is giving you permission to write your own LOR and willing to put their name on it, they either really like you and believe in you a great deal, or don't give a crap about their name. Either way, take advantage if you can - the more control over the process the better. Of course if you don't feel good about it then move on.

a41 - why do you care? You had a surgeon write your letter cause you must be more important than the OP right? You were judging and got called out and then backed away. Careful.....

I'm sure it happens a lot, I consider it ethically questionable though esp. since unlike other LORs, you are not even supposed to have read these ones.

I don't think it's given much weight either. Your own written answers seem to weigh much more in school calculations than anything else. I enjoy the idea that some schools give you a clean slate once you make it to interview stage--probably a good idea.

True. It clearly states on the OMSAS ref form that you are not to have seen the reference - it's a confidential form.

For this reason, I did not have any part in my LORs. With the weeding out process as it is, I did not want ANY reason to disqualify my application. As such, I picked my references wisely and I knew from past experiences they wouldn't let me down.

a41 - why do you care? You had a surgeon write your letter cause you must be more important than the OP right?

I used it as an example of someone who I consider to be extremely busy yet was still able to find the time to write a letter. I was trying to support an argument that premeds writing their own letters has less to do with referees' lack of time, and more to do with the fact that they don't want to write them. Ethics aside, I think one would be better served by seeking out a referee who was more willing to write a letter.

Careful.....

I will try to be more cautious in the future.

The main reason why he asked this is because English is his fourth language and it is very difficult for him to write in English. He doesn't want to screw me over by submitting a letter that is poorly written so he asked that I write it and give it to him. I know a lot of people who have done this before and I don't see any problem with it. The main reason, as I understand it, for an applicant to not be able to see the letter is to free the letter-writer from worrying about putting anything negative or anything that he doesn't want the applicant to know that he wrote. Obviously, in a case like mine, he is comfortable and trusting enough to let me do this. And, when I bring it to him, he can, of course, suggest changes.

Archived