Premed 101 Forums

UofT students

Guest rez32

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in OAC and deciding on which university I should go to next Fall, UofT or York (have to stay at home). People are warning me against going to UofT because it's so tough to get good grades there (so they say). Do you guys agree that UofT might be harder than York? Do any of you regret going to UofT?

Hey,

This subject has been discussed fairly thoroughly in the past on this board, but I can't seem to find any old threads.

Suffice it to say that those people who have taken courses at BOTH schools (including me) know that the level of difficulty of standard courses is generally similar. Science courses at U of T are HARD. Then again, science courses at York are HARD too. Don't pick a school based on where you think it'll be easier. University courses are hard. You're going to have to deal with it.

That said, there are huge differences between Toronto and York ... in atmosphere, course delivery, student life, and a million other things. Pick the school where you will be happiest, and that'll be the school where you get the best grades.

Peachy

Guest med2006McGill

Rez32,

Keep in mind that even at UT, there are tough science programs (ie Immunology, Molecular Genetics & Biology) and relatively easier ones. It really depends on which program you enrol in and which courses you take. I don't know if I regret going to UT, but if I had a chance to do it all over again, maybe I'd choose an easier program.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

With respect to programs, there was a new program offered last year at UofT--Health Studies. It was really quite remarkable how they went about things in at least one of the courses that was offered under their umbrella. For example, in this one course, we were going to be tackling statistics, and so in order to "make sure" that we had adequate tools to do so, our prof, in advance, motioned that we would be having a math quiz. This math quiz counted for 5% of our final mark and--wait for it--was going to include long division. I thought he may simply be in possession of a cracking sense of humour, but no. We did have that math quiz and there were questions covering addition, subtraction, order of operations and long division. Errr, ya.

But wait, there's more: on top of our 10% participation mark (everyone received 100% if they simply dragged their bodies (asleep or not) to each class), we were to do a number of assignments, one of which was worth ~10% of our final mark. The prof decided, closer to the time when we were to receive the assignment instructions, that he didn't have time to mark the assignment. Therefore, using a bit of an unusual strategy, he decided to solve the problem by giving us all 100% on that assignment. The unbelieving heretic that I was, I put my hand up in class to clarify that this was actually what he intended to do--that he wished to give us all a free, pro bono, completely unearned, 10%--he did.

He seemed to be a super-nice guy, but from what I hear, he's not teaching the course this year. (Perhaps not quite up to UofT's level of "fairness"?!! ;)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived