Premed 101 Forums

Need your opinion on Queen's courses

Hey guys.

So I am planning on taking:

film240

comm200

econ111 and 112 (essentially just econ110 divide into 2 pieces)

Now i'm taking these courses essentially to boost my marks. I've heard all of these courses are very easy.

But can you let me know what you thought about the courses or what you've heard about them?

I've managed to find the course page for econ but i cannot find any for film or comm. I absolutely cannot do essay exams (can't write under timing) and I also want to avoid heavy textbook reading-based exams.

I prefer classes that test you on the material from the lectures.

Can you help me? You'd be my hero.

:)

I just graduated from Queen's, the only course I've taken from your list is Econ 110. I took it in first year, so my perception of it might be skewed by the fact that I sucked more at school than, but in general I don't think it's a bird course. The exams are all multiple choice, which works out for you, but there are a lot of short answer/essay assignments that aren't giveaway marks. Although, if you're really into economics, or have taken some similiar courses before, you could get high 80's or 90's.

I've heard from friends that Comm 200 is a really good course, and it sounds like you can get an easy 85% or higher. Probably also good to know some principles of business as a physician.

If your an upper year student just looking to fill some electives, I would recommend Phys 020 Physicists in the Nuclear Age. It's actually a great course, and the easiest 95% you will ever get. There's usually only one exam and maybe two short short (and easily marked) essays. The professor is really into the course which is always a bonus. Also, Phys 016 (which I dropped after a week) is apparently really good too, mostly multiple choice exams, and you learn interesting **** about the universe.

Hope that helps

I just graduated from Queen's, the only course I've taken from your list is Econ 110. I took it in first year, so my perception of it might be skewed by the fact that I sucked more at school than, but in general I don't think it's a bird course. The exams are all multiple choice, which works out for you, but there are a lot of short answer/essay assignments that aren't giveaway marks. Although, if you're really into economics, or have taken some similiar courses before, you could get high 80's or 90's.

I've heard from friends that Comm 200 is a really good course, and it sounds like you can get an easy 85% or higher. Probably also good to know some principles of business as a physician.

If your an upper year student just looking to fill some electives, I would recommend Phys 020 Physicists in the Nuclear Age. It's actually a great course, and the easiest 95% you will ever get. There's usually only one exam and maybe two short short (and easily marked) essays. The professor is really into the course which is always a bonus. Also, Phys 016 (which I dropped after a week) is apparently really good too, mostly multiple choice exams, and you learn interesting **** about the universe.

Hope that helps

hey thanks shredthegnar.

No problem rapedbylifesci.

So I also took Phgy 350 and 355. I believe 350 is Pathophysiology. I took it after taking Phgy 210, I thought the material was pretty easy after that. There was only one multiple choice midterm and one multiple choice final, which were straight from the material taught in class. I think if you enjoy physiology and have taken one or more physiology courses before, Phgy 350 will be a breeze and you can definately get over 90% with a moderate amount of effort. The course is basically an overview of major/interesting diseases broken up into organ systems, including things like inflammation and tissue repair/healing. Also, you don't need to go to class if your not that type of learner, most of the notes were pretty complete and if not you could just photocopy them from a friend and get the same amount of info.

I took Phgy 355 as well, Biomedical Respiratory Physiology. Overall it was a good course, but it's definately harder than 350. The instructors were very knowledgable, but they expected a lot from lab reports and tests. There was also labs every week or two (can't remember now), which were interesting, but again the lab reports took some effort to complete. The tests were a mixture of short answer and multiple choice, and I found them more challenging than other courses because there were some outside of the box thinking questions, and short answer questions that required a detailed knowledge. I would say you can get in the 80's with a good amount of effort, but getting above 90 would be tough. The average was probably about 76%, and most of the people were on the smarter end of the life sci spectrum.

My summary, definately take Phgy 350 if your into physiology (and medicine in the future), and if you have to/or are really into respiratory take 355.

the instructor for phgy355: Dr Iscoe.

Good guy, very smart. A lot of people complain about his going off about his colleagues, but I really didn't mind. Why do people complain when profs go off on a tangent? It gives you time to relax your mind and catch up on taking notes! So all of a sudden everybody (including the kids who sit at the back and just talk/eat/sleep) are focused and want to stay on topic?

Irony. (Fe+2 or 3+)

But ya, in regards to the course, I really did not have much to learn about the lung and I found his section in the exam incredibly hard. But then again, I did not know how to study for university classes at ALL in 2nd year life sci (thus my name: raped by life sci).

I'm taking phgy350 and anat315 and 316. I dropped the anat309 because I can't seem to find sufficient data on the class other than the fact that the lab exam was 1st degree murder.

Archived