Premed 101 Forums

Coping with student debt

I'd just make a budget, map it out daily/weekly in Excel to make sure you're sticking to it, and avoid checking the actual bank balance too often (especially interest), since it gets depressing. Just think of your loan as the equivalent of a salary, so budget your life according to a $20-30-40,000 salary. You can't really control the interest, so no need to freak out over it by checking your balance daily. You have to check it sometimes, of course, just to make sure there's no unauthorized activity going on, but seeing the figure too often will just stress you out.

Also, you have to remember that while the figure is huge, the repayment is not too bad. I mean, RBC and MD Management threw around figures like $1300/month for a full LOC repayment. That's really not too bad for a $150,000 debt with 4 years' worth of interest on it, if you think about it. You could even pay that back on a $50,000 salary if you live frugally or have a dual income, let alone a $150,000 salary.

I'd just make a budget, map it out daily/weekly in Excel to make sure you're sticking to it, and avoid checking the actual bank balance too often (especially interest), since it gets depressing. Just think of your loan as the equivalent of a salary, so budget your life according to a $20-30-40,000 salary. You can't really control the interest, so no need to freak out over it by checking your balance daily. You have to check it sometimes, of course, just to make sure there's no unauthorized activity going on, but seeing the figure too often will just stress you out.

Also, you have to remember that while the figure is huge, the repayment is not too bad. I mean, RBC and MD Management threw around figures like $1300/month for a full LOC repayment. That's really not too bad for a $150,000 debt with 4 years' worth of interest on it, if you think about it. You could even pay that back on a $50,000 salary if you live frugally or have a dual income, let alone a $150,000 salary.

Are you sure you're not paying the interest throughout med school as well? That's how it worked for my husband's professional student LOC, and our repayment is still like $1400/month (at prime).

Just wanted to mention it in case this is the case and no one told you before. This is how it was for me, but it may be different with your bank.

Are you sure you're not paying the interest throughout med school as well? That's how it worked for my husband's professional student LOC, and our repayment is still like $1400/month (at prime).

Just wanted to mention it in case this is the case and no one told you before. This is how it was for me, but it may be different with your bank.

Yes, that's why I said "150,000 with 4 years' worth of interest on it."

Yes, that's why I said "150,000 with 4 years' worth of interest on it."

Yeah, got that. Just thought there might have been a misunderstanding since our bank was totally douchey about making us pay our interest every month in school. And they didn't tell us we'd have to do that ahead of time, either.

Yeah, got that. Just thought there might have been a misunderstanding since our bank was totally douchey about making us pay our interest every month in school. And they didn't tell us we'd have to do that ahead of time, either.

Hey switcheroo, why don't you switch to another bank that plays fair. What they are doing is incredible and defies common sense.

Archived