Premed 101 Forums

3.75 cGPA, no DAT yet... realistic chance at McGill?

There's not many of us...

I got in with a 3.6 UG, 3.85 grad. There were 3x the number of people applying for spots in my cohort (I'm IP, 30 people interviewing for 10 spots originally). I have no idea how many people applied total, but I'm pretty certain that if you meet that 3.5 cutoff you'll be guaranteed an interview.

DAT scores were only average, had a 23 RC, 20 AA... 14 carving (not that it matters :P). A lot of the pre-dents dropped out/failed out, so there were something like 6 or 7 additional spots available for IP and OOP students. Not sure precisely how they were allocated... but I don't think that this happens every year!

graduate as in Phd, or is masters fine?

Like I said, the graduate degree doesn't really give any tangible benefit, apart from the experience. The emphasis at McGill is really on the interview (above grades even), so you'll want to have something to talk about. Grad school and ECs will help with that.

• 3 weeks later...

If you do masters, you get 0.1 boost to your cGPA. This is the response I got from McGill admissions ppl.

"If you have a masters degree, we add .1 to your CGPA (ie CGPA of 3.5 for undergrad degree – with masters you would have 3.6)"

Not sure about PhD tho....but i'ma assume they add 0.5 (like McMaster med)

If you do masters, you get 0.1 boost to your cGPA. This is the response I got from McGill admissions ppl.

"If you have a masters degree, we add .1 to your CGPA (ie CGPA of 3.5 for undergrad degree – with masters you would have 3.6)"

Not sure about PhD tho....but i'ma assume they add 0.5 (like McMaster med)

Mac Med adds 0.04...not 0.5. That would be ridiculous. Someone could go from a 3.5 GPA to a 4.0 just by doing a PhD.

So with a PhD at Mac if you had a 3.60 let's say...it would go to a 3.64 with a PhD.

Check out the 1st post in this thread.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34525

master’s degree holder +.01; PhD degree holder +.04, added to pre-interview formula

So I think the "0.04" is a percentage added to the master ranking list pre-interview. Not a GPA addition. This makes it difficult to predict the actual advantage a graduate degree gives you.

Yup, I was looking at the "graduate considerations" section only and totally ignored the previous section where these numbers are given as percentages. Nonetheless, 1% and 4% additions might give a little more of an advantage than 0.04 to the GPA, but it definitely won't lift you up by 0.5. When I asked the admin in my program at Mac how much of an advantage to your GPA a PhD would provide, they told me it usually adds anywhere from +0.05 to +0.07 to the GPA. It is somewhere in that ball park. Anyways, that is for Mac med school and I have no idea if it is the same for McGill dents. You should probably just phone McGill and find out for sure what considerations they will give you.

Archived