Premed 101 Forums

new gpa calculation?

Guest doctorfunk

Guest doctorfunk

was i dreaming, or did UofT have a newly designed webpage describing some changes for the admissions considerations for the incoming 2003 class?

for example, it had a revised converted gpa formula where one full course mark was dropped for every full year of undergraduate course work completed.

anybody else see this? the page seems to have disappeared, and only the 2002 information is available...

I don't think you were dreaming, because I remember seeing the new gpa calculation as well. I am a bit confused now because the website has 2001/2002 requirements and not the 2002/2003 ones. I hope someone out there can shed some light on this matter!

Thanks!

Guest bad hombre

if any of this GPA stuff is true, how much higher are your gpa's gonna be? mine will rise by 0.06, which puts me in a much better sitch than before. I wonder if the average gpa will rise significantly after this or whatever. how about you guys?

Guest doctorfunk

i think it depends on the particular results of each individual's academic record.

for instance, if you have nearly all A's every year sprinkled with a couple low marks, this proposed new scheme will benefit you.

however, if you performed consistently throughout your undergraduate years, then dropping a couple courses won't help as much.

Does anyone know what a full course grade means? We take 10 courses every year where each course is worth 0.5 credit. So does that mean they'll drop just one course or one full credit (2 courses)? Am i making sense?

Guest BrainDrain

As quoted from the above link:

"This calculation is designed to encourage students to take demanding, advanced courses which advance their education during their undergraduate years."

That's a big load of crap! You're just going to have everyone applying with a 4.0, thus negating GPA as a factor in the selection process.

BrainDrain

U.S. outtahere.gif Canada

Archived