Premed 101 Forums

Preventative Medicine- What Field?

Hey,

So after being roasted alive for asking people's opinions on Naturopathic Medicine, I have a second question to ask.

What interests me most is preventative medicine and more of a holistic approach to health (just to make it clear, I am not talking about, nor do I believe in, quackery such as "aligning one's energy" etc. etc.). However, I am curious in what fields this type of outlook would fit into because I have had a difficult time finding one. As a GP it would be difficult to use this philosophy because there is very limited time with patients (assuming you want to be paid) and obviously many people won't be interested / it will be completely unrelated to their medical needs.

Similarly, there aren't many fields outside of being an MD that incorporate this that I have been able to find / know of. At least careers that aren't considered to use bogus techniques.

So, suggestions / opinions?

I think you may have dismissed the GP route a bit quickly. GPs can chose to specialize in particular patient pools and they really do decide how much time to spend with each patient. There is financial cost to spending a lot of time with someone of course, but this not unique to a GP - any health care provider that spends more than typical amounts of time with a patient is likely to be paid less. However that is the doctor's choice (GPs are their own bosses after all), the pay is still likely to be reasonable, and the flexibilities a GP has would make it more possible.

I have meet some GP "hybrids" with alternative medicine aspects as well.

Hey,

So after being roasted alive for asking people's opinions on Naturopathic Medicine, I have a second question to ask.

What interests me most is preventative medicine and more of a holistic approach to health (just to make it clear, I am not talking about, nor do I believe in, quackery such as "aligning one's energy" etc. etc.). However, I am curious in what fields this type of outlook would fit into because I have had a difficult time finding one. As a GP it would be difficult to use this philosophy because there is very limited time with patients (assuming you want to be paid) and obviously many people won't be interested / it will be completely unrelated to their medical needs.

Similarly, there aren't many fields outside of being an MD that incorporate this that I have been able to find / know of. At least careers that aren't considered to use bogus techniques.

So, suggestions / opinions?

I think you may have dismissed the GP route a bit quickly. GPs can chose to specialize in particular patient pools and they really do decide how much time to spend with each patient. There is financial cost to spending a lot of time with someone of course, but this not unique to a GP - and health care provider that spends more than typical amounts of time with a patient is likely to be paid less. However that is the doctor's choice (GPs are their own bosses after all), the pay is still likely to be reasonable, and the flexibilities a GP has would make it more possible.

I have meet some GP "hybrids" with alternative medicine aspects as well.

Thanks for the reply. You are right, I could definitely specialize. I hate to say this, but a big concern of mine about that is the enormous debt I will have, and then becoming a GP who earns less than other GPs (which are already in a shortage because of people being concerned about debt load). I am sure that if I manage it well enough it wouldn't be a problem though. I will definitely check out the possibilities as a GP.

Jordan, see my other post in the Naturopath thread. An MD has much more to provide in primary care than taking reactive measures in clinical settings. I think any alternative medicine could be considered with an open attitude, but ONLY if it is proven by science/clinical based trials to have therapeutic effects.

That being said, "hybrid" MDs with alternative medicine specializations is a good consideration imo and should be similar to what you're looking for. Of course, much of that has to be under the scrutiny of the individual because you are a deviation from the model of typical health care practitioners.

Take a look at MBBSs in Hong Kong that also specialize in trad Chinese medicine.

Archived