Premed 101 Forums

Applying to easy US or big 5 carribean med schools directly without trying in ON firs

I posted this in the general discussion, then realized this section would be more appropriate

------------------------

Hi everyone, this site is awesome and it is my first time posting ( as i just registered).

I know this question is repeated so many times and yes there is a sticky, but please here me out.

Should i apply directly to US (easy ones) and carribean medical schools directly, without trying here first in canada (esp in ontario, which is my home province)?

The reason for such a question? Well my gpa for years 1-3 at UofT for BSc is 3.18 (year one 3.18,year two 3.48, year three 2.84)and I am taking the mcat this summer and hopefully will get around 33Qish. Now this gpa is well below even the minimum gpa to apply for most schools in ontario (except mac).

So should i even bother applying blindly, when i know i dont meet the criteria and spend roughy a $1000.

Please help me out, deadline for application are coming.Any other routes you suggest i take, or where i can apply with my stats.

My ECs are decent, incl hospital volunteering, alotttt of community service,sports, and one year of research with a neurophychologist (no publication)

Thanks

p.s i live in toronto,ON and would like to practice here in ontario

If you want to practice in Toronto, forget the carribeans and go only US. Even then (going to the US) it'll be pretty hard to match back up to Canada in many-most specialties. So I would apply carrib's as a back-up anyways.

I would not personally apply here with those stats, but hey, people have gotten in with them. I just don't have $1000 to blow on poor odds (that's what Vegas is for). If however, you were itching for that brand new HDTV, then $1000 is a small price to pay for the chance to stay in Ontario.

EDIT: I should also point out that going US or Carribs, you're looking at $45-50k USD a year. So... in THAT sense $1000 isn't a lot, your interest ALONE is gonna make that one grand seem like chump change if you get in somewhere outside Canada.. lol

Archived