Premed 101 Forums

Internal med... anything to say about it?

It's insane to lengthen residency training. What's even more insane is to make residents work more than 24 hours at a time. It's illegal to drive if you're that tired(its considered impaired on par with a high BAC), yet it is completely ok to PERFORM SURGERY? That makes absolutely no fcuking sense.

If the old school guys don't like the fact that their 36 hour call marathons are a thing of the past, they can shove it up their proverbial behinds! It's about patient safety, not initiation!

Medicine is bass-ackwards most of the time.

+1

You need to know and be prepared for "middle of the night stuff", but why the hell do you need to suffer an extra 8hrs? I fail to see the plus value...chances are that procedure or case will come up again in a 5 year residency, but obviously if you got called minimally, and are relatively fresh, no harm in staying. In fact, we are home call at my programme, but we're at a trauma center, so all hell can break loose in a second, and keep you there the whole night, but if the night is calm (unfortunately hasn't happened yet :P), I would work the next day, simply using common sense and being aware of my abilities for the sake of patient safety. Do you drive when you are drunk?

noncestvrai

The thing that irks me when old-timers complain about how soft current residents have become is that medicine and residencies are a different beast now than it was in their day.

Sure, they might have spent more time at work, and taken longer call days, but it was an era when there was not only less knowledge, but also less bureaucracy, less paperwork, less litigiousness, less you could test for or do for patients, and when hospital admissions were longer -- more like a hotel stay without the pressure to get people in and out. I suspect they weren't doing as much social work or trying to figure out how to order TPN on a weekend before pharmacy closed or explain why what the family just printed off the internet doesn't apply here. Did they get relentlessly paged with "Mr X's BP is 140/70, just wanted to let you know"? I have this feeling they weren't, and that while the core experience of becoming a doctor in residency hasn't changed, some of the attendant nonsense we deal with is like nothing they'd recognize.

Archived