Premed 101 Forums

Sending MCAT scores, LORs, Transcripts

goose

New to the application process and applying for entry in 2010. I did a quick search for answers to my questions on this forum but didn't find what I was looking for (if it's here someone, please direct me to it).

1. My understanding is that I have to "release" my MCAT scores at some point. Does this involve any action on my part, or is this automatic? I wrote the MCAT August 08 and when prompted about releasing scores to AMCAS I said yes. On the MCAT THx service, there is an option to "send" scores (to OMSAS, for example). Do I do this before/after I've submitted my applications, or between when I open and OMSAS account and when I submit, :confused:

2. Same kind of question, this time about LORs. Firstly, when should I let my referees know that they should get started on my LORs. Also, when should I send these LORs to OMSAS and other schools outside Ontario?

3. Same question for transcripts: When should I order them and have them sent?

A useful tool for pre-meds may be a suggested timeline of the application process.

e.g.

June 1 - UBC admissions opens (sign up for this if you're applying here)

Mid July - sign up for OMSAS

July..?? - Be sure your LORs are being written

July 15 - UBC early decision deadline

Sept 1 - McGill admissions opens, UBC admissions deadline

...? (before/after submitting applications?) - Good time to release MCAT scores and order transcripts

If something like this exists and is easy to find, my search skills could certainly use some work. Otherwise, could someone help us (I'm assuming there are others with similar concerns)?

Thanks in advance,

goose.

(the goose is loose! ok I couldn't resist :))

A lot of your questions about specific dates will depend on the particular school you are applying to, which makes it a bit hard to speak about specifics in some cases. Still

1) you will have release your scores on the AMCAS site by oct 13, 2009 so you can submit it after the application is due (oct 1). I sent mine in before the application was submitted so that also seemed to work.

2) I would let your LOR choices know right now as you want to make sure they are willing and have plenty of time to do a good job. Send to OMSAS by Dec 1 I believe if you apply to a school that uses such things. Outside of Ontairo it is again school specific (which schools are you interested in?)

3) oct 1 for transcripts at OMSAS. Don't do this at the last minute :)

New to the application process and applying for entry in 2010. I did a quick search for answers to my questions on this forum but didn't find what I was looking for (if it's here someone, please direct me to it).

1. My understanding is that I have to "release" my MCAT scores at some point. Does this involve any action on my part, or is this automatic? I wrote the MCAT August 08 and when prompted about releasing scores to AMCAS I said yes. On the MCAT THx service, there is an option to "send" scores (to OMSAS, for example). Do I do this before/after I've submitted my applications, or between when I open and OMSAS account and when I submit, :confused:

2. Same kind of question, this time about LORs. Firstly, when should I let my referees know that they should get started on my LORs. Also, when should I send these LORs to OMSAS and other schools outside Ontario?

3. Same question for transcripts: When should I order them and have them sent?

A useful tool for pre-meds may be a suggested timeline of the application process.

e.g.

June 1 - UBC admissions opens (sign up for this if you're applying here)

Mid July - sign up for OMSAS

July..?? - Be sure your LORs are being written

July 15 - UBC early decision deadline

Sept 1 - McGill admissions opens, UBC admissions deadline

...? (before/after submitting applications?) - Good time to release MCAT scores and order transcripts

If something like this exists and is easy to find, my search skills could certainly use some work. Otherwise, could someone help us (I'm assuming there are others with similar concerns)?

Thanks in advance,

goose.

About 3. I suggest you make your own timeline. Each year the date and specifics of application package change, and one from last year may be completely useless for this year. And I don't think there is a document with all important dates for every univ. but each school/OMSAS at least post those on their own admission page so it's just few clicks. If you are willing, you could post it on this board to share with other ppl no:) ?

Archived