Premed 101 Forums

Help!!

7alc1

I'm at Queen's right now, going into my third year for biology with an econ minor. I definitely screwed up my first two years, so chances are I will need to take an extra year anyway. Recently, I was accepted to the York U Health Science / Kin program with upper year standing. What program would give me the best chances of getting into med school? What degree would be more beneficial? I've been trying to get advice, but I don't know anyone that has a really strong knowledge of getting into med school.

Thanks!

The question you ask is unanswerable. Some med schools don't have prereqs. It is best to study something that interests you as you are likely to do better. I am in a program that sounds similar to the York U program that accepted you, I love it, although I work hard it does not feel like work and I do well. So, it comes down to a personal choice, the key to get the GPA that gives you a shot at med school. Students from so many different UG backgrounds get into med school. At the end of the day, luck plays a major role in acceptance.

I'm at Queen's right now, going into my third year for biology with an econ minor. I definitely screwed up my first two years, so chances are I will need to take an extra year anyway. Recently, I was accepted to the York U Health Science / Kin program with upper year standing. What program would give me the best chances of getting into med school? What degree would be more beneficial? I've been trying to get advice, but I don't know anyone that has a really strong knowledge of getting into med school.

Thanks!

Future doc is right - it might also help you to know that the schools basically don't care what your degree is in. You don't really get brownie points by chosing a harder program, and particularly in your case as you will likely be looking at schools with best/last 2 years etc the only consideration is raw GPA (at least from the med school point of view).

Thanks for all of the input! Does anyone know of the relative easiness of the two programs? Queen's has a reputation for being really difficult, but I feel like it would be presumptuous to assume York is an easy ride.

Thanks for all of the input! Does anyone know of the relative easiness of the two programs? Queen's has a reputation for being really difficult, but I feel like it would be presumptuous to assume York is an easy ride.

I think you may be going off message for yourself. You already know what Queen's is like and only you know the real reasons why you have done poorly in the past. I think you are making an error in focusing on which program provides relative easiness. Instead, self-reflect about the reasons why you screwed up so this does not happen again, and then choose the course of study that interests you the most, about which you have greater passion. Relative easiness is not a basis upon which to create a path to a secure future, i.e., what may be easy for me may be difficult for another. Create a master plan that best suits your interests.

From my perspective, the York program would create a potential Plan B for you, should you not make it into medicine.

Archived