Premed 101 Forums

MCAT tries

pebz

Hi,

Is there a maximum number of tries you can take the MCAT, if you're looking to apply for schools in Ontario or in Canada?

Also do schools in Ontario/Canada only look at the most recent score?

For Canada there is no limit. The only real problems lie in applying to the US (so keeping your options open) and the shear pain in the ass factor there is in writing the test multiple times.

Schools in Ontario take the most recent score I believe, but other parts of the country have their own rules. Dalhousie I think is the best score (?) for instance. Any schools in particular you are interested in?

To add more info to this UBC takes the highest score,

an interesting one is McGill, they take the last one I think, BUT they have a maximum limit of 3 MCATs according to their website (although it might only apply to the disadvantaged OPs)

I have heard that certain schools consider more than 2 tries to be a "red flag." This would only apply to schools that look at your whole application before granting an interview... such as U of T.

I have seen no evidence to back that claim up.

I tend to agree with AdamP. In fact, I was under the impression that U/T does not consider MCAT important other than for red flag purposes if an applicant does horribly. And I didn't think more tries would have any meaning for them unless the original MCAT score already created a red flag (which I suppose could have been removed with a higher score later).

i actually called UofT and Queen's and asked point blank "If i take the MCAT multiple times as opposed to once, it doesn't hurt me in any way whatsoever?" and both times they said "No".

It feels weird that this is the case but it's just the way it is...at least for these schools. I have heard the US does frown upon multiple re writes especially if the scores don't go up.

I actually plan to take the MCAT twice within 10 days (and i told Queens this in our call). Yes it's very weird but I only plan to apply to UofT and Queens and this strategy reduces variability for me in VR and WS (the two sections that are a little more unpredictable). i also will never ever ever take the MCAT again after this cycle hence the urgency. Knowing how schools look at MCAT tries is really important so just make sure your info is all up to date although this forum is good for that.

sv3

Hey thanks! I'll have to update my spreadsheet :)

No worries. I know your in already but for others, never hurts to add these schools sites to your "favourties" and check now and then although i think you get notice well in advance (i.e. Mac).

As for multiple tries, if the schools really do say they don't care, I think we just have to beleive them. If they did care, i don't see why they would hide it. They sure as heck ain't afraid to tell you you need a certain GPA or they will shred your application right?

I'm a grad applicant though so I have wondered if it does matter since some schools look more holistically at our apps. I'll really worry about this if I do blow it my first try or two. For now............many other things on the cooker

i actually called UofT and Queen's and asked point blank "If i take the MCAT multiple times as opposed to once, it doesn't hurt me in any way whatsoever?" and both times they said "No".

It feels weird that this is the case but it's just the way it is...at least for these schools. I have heard the US does frown upon multiple re writes especially if the scores don't go up.

I actually plan to take the MCAT twice within 10 days (and i told Queens this in our call). Yes it's very weird but I only plan to apply to UofT and Queens and this strategy reduces variability for me in VR and WS (the two sections that are a little more unpredictable). i also will never ever ever take the MCAT again after this cycle hence the urgency. Knowing how schools look at MCAT tries is really important so just make sure your info is all up to date although this forum is good for that.

sv3

If queens only takes ur best, i can understand ur stratedgy with taking the MCAT twice within 10 days. But i thought UofT takes most recent, so how does that work to your advantage in this case?

If queens only takes ur best, i can understand ur stratedgy with taking the MCAT twice within 10 days. But i thought UofT takes most recent, so how does that work to your advantage in this case?

There is a risk no doubt. But I'm betting on the fact that I can hit UofT's cutoffs consistently (all 9s with N). Queen's cut off is rumoured to be all 10s with a total of 31-32 and a Q. I think that makes it's significantly harder to hit Queen's. My strategy backfires if I screw up badly the second time around. However, if I screwed up the first time, this is moot.

Also, if I do infact take it twice, I will have no issue voiding it if i feel i really did worse.

my situation is more unique than others i think so note I'm not saying this is a good way to go, just why i looked into the MCAT tries thing alot

No worries. I know your in already but for others, never hurts to add these schools sites to your "favourties" and check now and then although i think you get notice well in advance (i.e. Mac).

Absolutely! That's what I did - you can never know too much about the schools you are potentially interested in :)

Archived