Premed 101 Forums

Calls still going out

Guest cheech10

Guest cheech10

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say: Don't lose hope! I got the call today at 1:30 (on my last possible day to hear!), so they're still giving out spots! Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

Guest JSS02

He means that if you're already holding an acceptance at an Ontario med school, you can't come off any more waitlists after July 3rd. But if you haven't gotten in anywhere yet, then you can still be accepted by U of T after today.

Guest BrainDrain

Unless you take a risk and drop your other acceptances:)

But anyways, it's an idiotic rule that may prevent one from holding out for his/her dream school.

BrainDrain

U.S. outtahere.gif Canada

Guest cheech10

The others are right. I was accepted at Queens, and after today that acceptance would have become firm, and I would have been SOL with respect to UofT.

So did you have to call Queen's and tell them you're not coming? I thought the way it works was that OMSAS had to receive your acceptance of another school's offer (and overriding the one from Queen's) by July 3rd. Guess not.

Contrary to what Brain Drain stated, I don't think that you should be able to "hold out" for your dream school for the whole summer.

Just think how many people would do that and there would be chaos, spots could potentially remain "filled" but not filled, not to mention what impact that would have on people who are waitlisted. All of a sudden, offers would appear just before school starts. Really that wouldn't be fair, why should one person get to hold 4 eggs in their basket while someone (who likely has worked just as hard to get where they are) is just hoping to get one!

In 4 years you'll have an MD just like everyone else, so be happy you got accepted somewhere (hell, you applied there didn't you????) and grow up!!

Just my two cents for you!

Guest BrainDrain

kn,

First of all, this is not a dilemma that I am facing. Secondly, there also appears to be chaos with this current system as people ARE still getting offers just before school starts.

The way it works in the U.S. is that after May15, everyone with acceptance(s) must be holding onto only ONE offer and must withdraw all other acceptances. Thus after May15, if one gets off the waitlist, it's a matter of "trading in" one acceptance for another. I'm not talking about holding onto a bunch of acceptances for the whole summer.

How would you feel if you were forced to give up a shot at a school you really wanted just because you have an acceptance elsewhere. Now THAT wouldn't be fair.

BrainDrain

Yes, this system does have its problems. I guess the setup they have in the states works well? Sounds better than the one we have here, thats for sure as I know of people who do get acceptances even during O-week. Maybe this has more to do with individual school policies?

Yes, I guess that would be hard if you had to give up your dream school, but like I said, an MD is an MD, really. I guess its the fact that I'm not in a position to have that choice, so for those who do, I'm just not too sympathetic, boo-hoo. Right now, I would be happy with just about any school as would many people who have posted on this site.

Anyways, I have been following the posts a bit, just decided to post this one comment as it hit home. I know that Brain Drain (as evident in your name) is luckily not in this position and heading to the states? Congrats on your multiple offers. Where are you going, just out of curiosity?

kn

Guest cheech10

I think most of the people that got in very late last year were because of the late funding announcements by the provincial govt. If no new seats are added later this summer, I think everything will be settled by the beginning of August at the latest.

Guest BrainDrain

kn,

FYI, it's an upper-tier school...one of the elite schools in the U.S.

I'll leave it at that.

Archived