Premed 101 Forums

Books!

Guest Pop

Hello current UT meds,

I looked at the cirriculum for 2001/2002 at UoT webpage.. there seems to be alot of books that we have to buy..... arethey all necessary??

I don't want to spend my loan money on books that i don't need....

any info would be great help!

Guest ThugJaan

No...wait until O-Week where you will find out about books. I personally bought like 2 all year. Why would you want them earlier anyways? Don' tell me you were going to study over the summer :)

Guest Pop 999

hi ThugJaan,

thanks for the note! The reason I want to ask is that I am going back to Hong Kong for the summer and the same books there are A LOT cheaper than here.

Therefore, I wanted to do some shopping before schools starts.

I have asked around abit, but it seems that a lot of the courses are based on Notes rather than text.. is that a reasonable assumption?

I guess the one thing i will need for sure is a medical dictonary.. which one is good??

Thanks for answering!

Cheers,

Pop

Guest YongQ

See if you can find C.P. Shah's Public Health book in HK. That's the <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> only<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> mandatory book in 1st year and don't let anybody tell you differently. If you want some suggestions for optional texts (i.e. everything else) just give me a shout.

YONGQ

Guest Pop 999

Hi YongQ,

Thanks for the reply!

A list of reference book would be great! Thank you!

Although I do have the Kandel neurosci already since I had to buy it for my masters (...but I never touched the book during the course!!)

Also, should I be looking into equipment also? or should I wait and buy them here?

Thank you again!

Pop

(Brazil won!!! What a great game! =D)

Guest YongQ

I'm only going to suggest books I highly recommend and those that my peers have confirmed are excellent books.

Rohen & Yokochi, Anatomy Photo Atlas

Ganong, Review of Medical Physiology

Neuroanatomy: A color text (forgot the authors, but it is a thin blue softcover book with a PET scan on the cover)

That's all I feel comfortable recommending right now because they're highly popular choices and personally I found them all concise, readable, and pretty (which is important for me because I am a visual learner).

Have fun in HK and see you in August.

YONGQ!

Guest Akane200

For anatomy, you may also want to take a look at Netter's Anatomy Atlas before making a choice of which anatomy atlas you like. Rohen&Yokochi has real photos of cadaveric dissections, but Netter has drawings. It was very important to me to see the arteries and veins in red and blue. It's still very visual, but I guess I needed to have the concept before I saw the real thing. Besides, we did the dissections, and could see the real thing. I found both to be really useful, but the one I'm keeping is the Netter.

Netter is good to learn from for the first time and for dissections when trying to figure out what is what. Rohen and Yokochi is good for bell ringer prep (and can be accessed from the library a few days before the test). Our lab group bought the Rohen and Yokochi for the labs as a group to use. I know quite a few people who sold their Rohen and Yokochi the year after. You can get it used for cheaper prices when the school year begins and there is a used book sale organized by students.

I like Netter very much. I still go to look through it for reference. Good luck.

I really would hold off on buying any texts until the school year begins. You don't really have to buy so many (because you may not open them). Even the DOCH book (Shah) is coming out with a new edition (not sure if it's this fall though). And there are a lot of books that they didin't have on the recommend list which are quite useful as well. Just buy what you need to study. Undergrad books can supplement adequately too.

That Kandell book was thick. I didn't buy that. :b The neuroanatomy in colour is really good too. Ganong is good for endocrine, but Guyton is very good for cardiav physio (that's what I found). However, in hindsight, I didn't really need to buy either because the course notes were good enough. So you see, it really depends. I bought even fewer books in second year. So it depends on how much money you have :b , how many books you like just for your reference collection (I'm starting to build one), or if you learn better from texts. I don't have a medical ditcionary yet. Many of my friends have the Merck Manual. I love my Cecil's Internal Medicine. :b

As for med equipment, there will be an equipment sale early in the year where everyone gets their stethoscopes, etc. I'm not sure if the prices are cheaper in HK, but the prices we get are student rates.

Guest UWOMED2005

I went with Netter first to get the comcepts, then studied the stuff in detaiusing Rohen & Yokochi. Those are the two best texts, depending on what you want. I also would recommend Moore's clinical anatomy if this is your first experience with Anatomy. It was mine.

Guest Ian Wong

Hey folks,

How about pinging any future replies regarding textbooks to the Textbooks forum? Perhaps we can generate a good book list for some of the incoming med students (of course, you'll certainly get this from your upperclassmen once you start attending classes this fall).

I started off a message there already.

pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm32.showMessage?topicID=35.topic

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Akane200

You just need one really good anatomy atlas. A text for anatomy may be useful too (but not required). you can get all the books in the library if you can find them in short term loans. You don't need the anatomy texts beyond the first 10 weeks of class (after anatomy is over).

Guest Pop 999

Thank you moderators, for replying to my message!!

The info and suggestions are excellent as always!

I think I won't go on a shopping spree just yet! =D

Cheers,

Pop

Archived