Premed 101 Forums

Should I just give up? What can I do?

Hi guys, I am feel like a waste right now. I just finished up fourth year of university, life science in UWaterloo and realized that I really want to go to med school. I have always had the desire to go, but never really grasp the realization as I have now. The problem is that I have been getting really horrible grades (marks ranging from 2.3-3.0), but I have done a lot of extracurricular activities (Student Societies, Leaderships, intramural sports, martial art clubs, resident life, and other campus initiatives). I have also had a lot of personal problems (dealt with deaths, parental marital issues, and other stuff). I really feel like medicine is the one thing I want to do.

My current plan is to do a fifth year, but that means I will have to do really well. I am just wondering if that will even matter at the end of the day. I did pretty well on my MCAT, got 36q. Then maybe pursuing a master, the prof I am working for right now wouldn't mind taking me on. I am just wondering if I'll even have a chance applying after my master's program? or should I just try to apply for another undergrad and do two-three years and then apply again?

I'm sooo confused, and feel like a failure...

if the breakdown of your mcat satisfies either western or queens or both, then do a 5th AND 6th year so you satisfy their GPA require as well. while you're applying after your 6th year, do a 7th year to satisfy Ottawa's requirement. you should be good after that. this is assuming you get good grades from now on. you can't afford to **** anything up now.

if the breakdown of your mcat satisfies either western or queens or both, then do a 5th AND 6th year so you satisfy their GPA require as well. while you're applying after your 6th year, do a 7th year to satisfy Ottawa's requirement. you should be good after that. this is assuming you get good grades from now on. you can't afford to **** anything up now.

I thought they're only allowed to have a certain number of "special year"? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the break down of my MCAT satisfies the requirement...they're quite evenly distributed too! :)

dont give up!!

you ve considered going abroad. You d get in the UK, Ireland, Caribbeans...and you can come back practice here if you want...

In the UK, some programs tak you solely based on your GAMSAT score ( an exam similar to MCAT), if you can well in this --- you ve got an interview.

Check out www(dot)themsag(dot)com - it ll tell what you need to get in in each school in different countries. To be honestit s quite impossible for you in Canada at the moment. But defintly not elsewehre

good luck

I thought they're only allowed to have a certain number of "special year"? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the break down of my MCAT satisfies the requirement...they're quite evenly distributed too! :)

if that's the case then you should do another undergrad.

Archived