Premed 101 Forums

5th year, 1 yr masters, or work?

Hi - I'm a 4th year applying to meds this year and I'm wondering as a backup options....

I've already got a good GPA - something above 3.9 BUT I dont have prerequisites for some med schools, esp US schools (english, orgo) so I am debating taking more courses to get prereqs to apply to more schools

Alternatively, I could try to find a research job or take a 1 year masters to reapply.

What are the opinions out there about what the best course of action is to get into medical school - my ultimate goal... Thanks!!!

Hi - I'm a 4th year applying to meds this year and I'm wondering as a backup options....

I've already got a good GPA - something above 3.9 BUT I dont have prerequisites for some med schools, esp US schools (english, orgo) so I am debating taking more courses to get prereqs to apply to more schools

Alternatively, I could try to find a research job or take a 1 year masters to reapply.

What are the opinions out there about what the best course of action is to get into medical school - my ultimate goal... Thanks!!!

How many prereqs to you think you are missing? Is it just english and orgo (and how many courses of each?)

Yeah, exactly how many prereq's are you missing? If its only 1 or 2 you could always take it in summer school, because some schools will count the course towards your prereq's but not towards your GPA. If you're missing like 4 or 5 you're better off to do a 5th year i'd say. Some schools don't "like it", but with your GPA, a good MCAT score, and lots of EC's I doubt a med school would turn you down.

I'd say a 5th year, even if just part-time, to get any remaining prereqs. Otherwise, you can certainly apply to schools with minimal or no prereqs (Mac, Dal, etc.). One-year masters are few and far between and will not help with getting prereqs - they're also on the intense side.

I'm missing like 4 or 5... half physics, both orgos, both english...

i have a decent mcat 10/12/12/S and decent ECs

Ok, makes sense - I was trying to clear up whether you could do the prereqs in the summer or even during your masters (you can take the odd undergrad course, say one a term in a masters with permission).

You are just starting your 4th year now, any chance to squeeze one of these courses in during the year? Specifically the first O-chem. If you did next summer you can most likely do all the remaining ones (as an example, waterloo would let you both on campus and by DE get two english courses, second O-chem and physics in the summer with relative ease). I would be surprised if this couldn't be done at other schools as well (just checked, you could do it at guelph as well). In theory you could then even start a 1 year masters the following fall and still be done before med school (2011). In other words it might be quite possible to do both :)

Archived