Premed 101 Forums

Definition of EC?

Quester

Hey guys,

What would be the definition of "Extracurricular" activities? Let's say I'm taking 9 science courses + school sport (hockey) team [as an example]. Except, I have the option of using this activity as a credit and get evaluations.

Now, even though I'm taking a full load course is this not considered an "EC activity" just because I'm using it as a credit? If that's the case, would it be considered so if I take 10 regular classes plus this?

I'm just a bit confused here.

Thanks.

you're getting credit for 10 courses with no EC.

I could use the hours and hours of research experience overtime as an EC but it counts for credit so its not an EC

That sounds right, but I am not sure if an adcom would actually be able to distinguish the difference - particularly with overloading. I can see what it would be a bit on the fence type of issue.

What if you make it an EC and so as not to deceive/mislead you state

"for credit in university course no. xx and devoted more time than required"?

You mean, just take 9 + (1 sport) courses and state that OR take 10 + (1 sport)?

But it would be a lie if I state that I devoted more time than required, I think?

I mean, I'd have to spend some time doing self-practices in addition to group practices (which would be considered "lectures"). But wouldn't "devoting more time" be analogous to just "studying outside the lectures" for any other courses?

Hey guys,

What would be the definition of "Extracurricular" activities? Let's say I'm taking 9 science courses + school sport (hockey) team [as an example]. Except, I have the option of using this activity as a credit and get evaluations.

Now, even though I'm taking a full load course is this not considered an "EC activity" just because I'm using it as a credit? If that's the case, would it be considered so if I take 10 regular classes plus this?

I'm just a bit confused here.

Thanks.

Not to be redundant, but I wouldn't label it as an EC.

Why?

Many academic programs include other activities as a part of their learning experiences (practicums, co-op, field placements, etc). These aren't ECs; they are for credit. This sport credit likely fits under that umbrella.

If you play hockey, competitively or for fun, not for credit, before or after school....now we have an EC ;)

p.s. If you are applying this or upcoming cycles for ON, read the OMSAS thread.

p.s.s. Should I feel the need to procrastinate from my work over the next couple days, I may consider writing a definition for ECs. :P

No, then its volunteering

No, it's an EC. An extra Curric is pretty much anything you do that doesn't involve you getting an hourly wage or involve your academics.

Being on a dance troupe for example doesn't involve you getting paid nor does it have anything to do with school. It's not volunteering but it's obviously an EC. Joining a ski team = no money, not for school and not volunteering but is also obviously an EC.

You had asked if jobs were considered ECs in post 12 and I went from there. Yes, dance troupe is an EC. I interned as part of a credit course in exercise therapy for the chronic elderly. This was part of 'formal education' b/c it was for credit. It is not 'volunteering' b/c it is for credit. Then, in summer, they paid me to do the same thing and it became 'employment'. If I were to do it this year on my won for free, it would become 'Volunteering'.

Archived