Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Life Science

kiron

Be prepared to get butt rapped to the max. All you dreams and aspirations will be thrown out the window once you enter this program. The program could be comparable to quicksand. First year, you think its easy; so you end up going into second year, and from the very first day of classes you get overwhelmed, by the amount of work. This feeling will last during the summers and even after you graduate- you become a zombie waking up at 3 in the morning and thinking about how Seroude f'ed up your life. Even after graduation you randomly start *****ing at anyone that remotely looks like any of the professors who have taught you (one of life science’s withdrawal symptoms). Also, you become more prone to alcoholism and being a crack head, so you could try to forget about how miserably you performed on the exam. Marks you never have achieved in your life, will be achieved in this program (and I mean 50's and 60's). This program is a complete disaster from the very beginning. You literally have no life and are ostracized by the rest of Queens and Kingston at large. I remember taking the taxi cab from residence to the train station, and the cab driver said he had a better chance of getting into medical school; I had come to the conclusion he probably did too. But I must say, from this semi-retarded, no social life program you become mentally stronger. But, you might be asking yourself why does that matter if you dont have a career you could apply it to- and I would completely agree, as I am currently unemployed and living with my parents.

If you do consider Queens Life Science, even with this information at hand, which I expect you to do, if your a typical self-centered premed who thinks you can be the exception... be aware I too was like you, who thought if I work my hardest I could do very well. Unfortuanely, no matter how hard you work the program is designed for the students at most to be average (ie. B/75%= 3.0 OMSAS GPA). May God be with you if you enter this program.

I believe the 77% you are referring to was the cut off to enter Life Science from 1st year to 2nd year. Firstly, if your friend is seriously considering pursuing medicine she/he should enter a program that they enjoy doing. To be honest, I spent approximately $40,000 (tuition, food, and residency) to learn how to memorize. I feel our current education system focuses on regurgitating ample amount of information (vividly seen by Queens Life Science), rather than emphasize critical thinking, which by large will make a person successful in their future endeavours. This program is an embarrassment for education. If you want to enter a program that focuses on memorizing 250 slides of information, only to be asked a minute detail question on pg 53, by all means go into this program and tell me how it turns out. In most of my classes the average was 70-75%. Yes there is a thesis project, but there is no guarantee you will get it, as funding in several of the departments are low.

I know people in the program, and they said it's actually not bad at all... yea the averages are high 70's... i wouldn't call that a 'butt rapist' of a program lol, sorry you hated it though man... i highly doubt it maxes out at 75%, i've never in my life taken even a single course in which an A isn't attainable... how is carleton treating you though?

just an aside... are theses at some schools rare? I have heard from a friend in life sci bio that they have like 12 profs that are available to do a bio thesis for however-many hundred students... is this true?:eek: I dunno if I take getting a thesis for granted, but at my school (Mac) everyone I know who wanted to do one got a prof... there's definitely hundreds of bio/life sci students doing a thesis here...

Be prepared to get butt rapped to the max.

Oh please 4lyfe, quit the trolling. It's not nearly as bad as your post makes it out to seem. Your post was maybe 90% hyperbole and 10% reality and that's from someone who went through it. Most of the Queen's courses were/are fair, taught by excellent professors for the most part, and if you are complaining about 'memorizing' 250 slides for an exam, enjoy the reality of having 250 slides every few days in medicine :rolleyes:

Every single person from my high school (there was about 10) who went to Queen's for life sci dropped out before 4th year. And apparently it's just getting harder (according to one of those guys younger brother). >50% of the people in the program are gunning for med.

I didn't take it, but I've heard nothing but negative things from everyone. Your undergrad degree doesn't matter, take something easier

This may be meaningless, but there are 9 people in the Queen's Med 2010 class who were in the life sci class of '07, and at least 1 from the class of '06. That's right, NINE got in after 3rd year. In the 2011 class, there are a handful as well (at least 4 or 5), though none out of third year. So it can't be that bad.

This may be meaningless, but there are 9 people in the Queen's Med 2010 class who were in the life sci class of '07, and at least 1 from the class of '06. That's right, NINE got in after 3rd year. In the 2011 class, there are a handful as well (at least 4 or 5), though none out of third year. So it can't be that bad.

I'm trying to do a headcount for the 2010s and I only counted three who had entered after 3rd year after looking through the composite on Qmed (The three I'm thinking of have first names that start with B, D and A). Maybe I miscounted, but I'm pretty sure I got them all.

But overall, I agree with the previous posters who had talked about the positive aspects of the program. Queen's Life Sciences isn't that bad as people say it is. I did my undergrad at Queen's, although not in Life Sciences. My friends who were in the program enjoyed it overall. Yes, the atmosphere can be competitive, but the majority of the people in the program are nice and cooperative. Some of the courses are memorization-intensive and detail-oriented, but it will just prepare you that much better for med school ;) Yes, some of the teachers are a little kooky, but what school doesn't have its share of crazy professors? :P

I'm trying to do a headcount for the 2010s and I only counted three who had entered after 3rd year after looking through the composite on Qmed (The three I'm thinking of have first names that start with B, D and A). Maybe I miscounted, but I'm pretty sure I got them all.

Hey bayervillager, here is the list I put together: AB, AS, AW, BL, ©AB, DJ, JK, KC, and SB.

The ones from life sci '06 are: NN and AM.

I guess the point is that it is possible to do well enough in Queen's Life Sciences to get a GPA in the range required for medical school. My friends in the program also really enjoyed some of the upper year courses they got to choose (ie. neurosciences etc), and felt the program prepared them well for med school. Good luck, whatever you end up choosing!

Archived