Premed 101 Forums

How did you break 10 on the MCAT

bj89

so i've been studying all summer long, starting in may and very recently going hardcore.... i've self-studied so far and i thought i was well prepared to break 10 on the mcat until i started doing the practice exams... on my first one i managed an 8 PS/ 8 VR/ 10 BS and on my second one i got a 9PS/ 9VR/ 9BS...

i really don't know how to improve my scores to go above 10. some questions on the practice aamc tests are just beyond me, especially in PS (there was one passage about particle accelerators.. wtf)

anyways... for those people who have gotten or broken 10 on each section, do you find that you know how to solve every single question? do you ever skip any that you don't understand? and do you go back to check over your answers a lot?

i find that i've been having a lot of time left over on PS and BS, and really don't know what to do with it because the questions i don't get are the ones i'm completely lost on and wouldn't be able to solve no matter how long i stared at it...

Read the solutions, learn the concepts for those you didn't get. There's no complicated physics involved, so you should be able to get them with a little perspective.

Wish I knew how to improve verbal reasoning though.

Its actually quite simple.

just can't get it: take an english course, do more practice passages, read more

can't do it in time: implement a killer strategy!

I went from 8 on the first test last year to 12 on my rewrite this year. And other than taking 2 english courses its not like I was intensely training for VR.

Read the solutions, learn the concepts for those you didn't get. There's no complicated physics involved, so you should be able to get them with a little perspective.

Wish I knew how to improve verbal reasoning though.

thanks for the tip... will definately look back at my practice exams. is it possible to improve from 9's all around to above 10's within 4 days? :P

Its actually quite simple.

just can't get it: take an english course, do more practice passages, read more

can't do it in time: implement a killer strategy!

I went from 8 on the first test last year to 12 on my rewrite this year. And other than taking 2 english courses its not like I was intensely training for VR.

Well, last year I did fine in VR, and I think that's because I was doing a few practice ones every week for a few weeks. So this year I got a bit overconfident and neglected it. I only practiced a couple of times before starting on them a couple of days ago. Now I have 4 days left to go before I write the MCAT, and I'm doing terrible in VR. I guess training your mind is key, as well as reading and understanding the solutions.

In such a short time <4 days, try to identify your common mistakes or flaws in your test-taking skills and correct them.

It's really hard to change how you critically think and analyze a passage in just a few days. It's much easier to identify test-taking errors and slipups.

Archived