Premed 101 Forums

Anyone else took time off from applying for family reasons?

I had applied a couple of times right out of school and then decided that if I wanted kids before I was in my 30's, I needed to have them before starting med school. So I took 4 years off from applying and had two kids, gave my husband the opportunity to strengthen his career and bought a house. Now that I'm back into the application cycle I feel so out of the loop and everything that I thought I knew has changed. I had interviewed in a panel setting and now it's MMI, the categories and weighting for EC's are different and who knows what else. Gaaaaah!

I had applied a couple of times right out of school and then decided that if I wanted kids before I was in my 30's, I needed to have them before starting med school. So I took 4 years off from applying and had two kids, gave my husband the opportunity to strengthen his career and bought a house. Now that I'm back into the application cycle I feel so out of the loop and everything that I thought I knew has changed. I had interviewed in a panel setting and now it's MMI, the categories and weighting for EC's are different and who knows what else. Gaaaaah!

Hello there,

It's great to hear you've been able to follow your wish to have a family and still keep on your journey to med school. Before you know it, you'll be back in the pre-med loop. Looks like you are already on it by being on this forum. ;)

Good luck!

Haly

Hello there,

It's great to hear you've been able to follow your wish to have a family and still keep on your journey to med school. Before you know it, you'll be back in the pre-med loop. Looks like you are already on it by being on this forum. ;)

Good luck!

Haly

Thanks for the well wishes. I've been working full time in residential care with people with disabilities and working on improving my EC's and taking correspondence courses part time towards getting a second degree (BA in Psyc), which has helped with my GPA. So hopefully it will be just the one try this time, but I'm willing to keep at it till I get in, even if I'm 50 by the time I'm done.

Thanks for the well wishes. I've been working full time in residential care with people with disabilities and working on improving my EC's and taking correspondence courses part time towards getting a second degree (BA in Psyc), which has helped with my GPA. So hopefully it will be just the one try this time, but I'm willing to keep at it till I get in, even if I'm 50 by the time I'm done.

Awesome!

Good luck and let us know how it goes :)

Archived