Premed 101 Forums

Location of MSc research: University vs Hospital

Illuminis

Hello there, I'll be graduating this year from UWO genetics, and my backup plan would be going for MSc. My main interest is studying the genetics behind human diseases, and I have noticed a number of appealing research supervisors in hospitals (Sick kids, Mount Sinai, etc.).

So is there a significant difference between studying in a hospital vs a university, with consideration to funding, facilities, requirements for graduation, quality of student lifestyle (pretty important!), etc. Or is the difference simply in the type of research going on?

Thanks!

Hello there, I'll be graduating this year from UWO genetics, and my backup plan would be going for MSc. My main interest is studying the genetics behind human diseases, and I have noticed a number of appealing research supervisors in hospitals (Sick kids, Mount Sinai, etc.).

So is there a significant difference between studying in a hospital vs a university, with consideration to funding, facilities, requirements for graduation, quality of student lifestyle (pretty important!), etc. Or is the difference simply in the type of research going on?

Thanks!

Hi Illuminis,

As a grad student at Dalhousie, I can't speak for stuff around the U of T area which you seem to be interested, however, I can give you a perspective of what I've observed out here, hopefully it's similar.

It's all about your supervisor and the work you are doing! It doesn't matter if it's in a hospital, or in an actual university building, the work is going to be the same. The funding, as far as I'm aware, would still come from a grant + university funding as long as your supervisor is affiliated with a university. I know a few students that are working with supervisors who have labs in the hospital, and it's no different from a grad student in a research building (except maybe you'd feel a bit more isolated if there aren't other students around).

I would suggest that if you know someone you want to work with (or know that you already like working with them) that you make the selection of your research project and supervisor the NUMBER ONE priority. If those two things are awesome, then who cares where you are doing the research. The two years will fly by and you will be really productive and successful. If you don't like your supervisor and or project, it's going to be a long, horrible two years!

Best of luck!:)

I second potter's comments, but wanted to add... one adv of being in a hospital is that my supervisor is an MD and gets his patients to agree to donate samples for our experiments. So I get a lot of patient samples for my projects on a regular basis. I'm sure that people working out of a university also have this type of thing too, but it's probably harder to actually get the sample (for us, we just go downstairs, collect, and freeze them!).

Thanks for the input guys. The Law, how are you liking Toronto? Which hospital are you at? I'd love to be in a lab filled with other students and a supporting supervisor, I guess I will have to be careful about selecting that. Also, have you applied for external scholarships from CIHR?

Thanks for the input guys. The Law, how are you liking Toronto? Which hospital are you at? I'd love to be in a lab filled with other students and a supporting supervisor, I guess I will have to be careful about selecting that. Also, have you applied for external scholarships from CIHR?

I love Toronto. It feels really, really great to be back in the GTA. I'm at Mount Sinai now in a lab that has 3 post-docs. My supervisors have given me a really cool project and I've been learning a lot and I work in an extremely supportive lab environment - it's really great! Selecting a good supervisor is very important, I'm definitely gladly I stuck with my gut and picked this lab... everything's turned out even better than I hoped so far. For this year, I didn't end up applying for any external scholarships because it was fairly late that I decided to pursue a Masters. I highly suggest applying though because if you win OGS or NSERC - 1) you're more likely to get hired (but this is not necessary, most profs seemed willing to take me even though I had no funding) and 2) your minimum graduate stipend goes up (woohoo!!).

I second potter's comments, but wanted to add... one adv of being in a hospital is that my supervisor is an MD and gets his patients to agree to donate samples for our experiments. So I get a lot of patient samples for my projects on a regular basis. I'm sure that people working out of a university also have this type of thing too, but it's probably harder to actually get the sample (for us, we just go downstairs, collect, and freeze them!).

That sounds really cool!

Good luck with it :)

Hey, so I believe you're working in the SLRI at Mount Sinai? How is access to campus clubs/ sports facilities from there? Also, do you or any other grad students TA classes? Thanks for your help, your position is very similar to where I see myself in a year =)

I'm actually more closely associated with LMP than SLRI. During orientation they mentioned a lot of the stuff we have access too (dragon boat racing, yoga, certain types of dance, etc...) and a discounted rate at premiere fitness (The discounted rate is exactly what I pay at LA fitness), but I haven't really used any of these things. I have a great gym membership at home and spend a lot of time at the gym there, so I don't really have time for those things... but I know they do exist. As for campus clubs, I am never on campus yet and school hasn't officially started - but I know there are a lot of clubs. I currently work with 3 post-docs and I am the only grad student (haven't met any others yet!!) so I will let you know. I did look into TAing classes, and you'll make a few thousand bucks extra... but I didn't think it was worth it given how busy I am. I'd rather spend my free time having a life. haha :P

I agree that the supervisor is the top priority...no doubt about that... and to add that the advantage of being in a renowned hospital (if the hospital is research intensive) is sometimes there is additional funding for research purposes allotted from the hospital budget (from community donations, gov't budget etc.) and this can sometimes go a long way to providing the extra cutting edge machine you may want to use which would otherwise be unavailable without the extra funds. I have done my honours project at the school and finishing up my master's now at a research intensive hospital and I've seen a stark difference in terms of funding and available equipment. I'd lean on going the research hospital position over the school one any day if all else is 'equal' (ie supervisor, project interest...)

m2c

Archived