Premed 101 Forums

Finding a Dentist to shadow

Hi

I live in Vancouver and need to find a Dentist to shadow. Most dentists seem to be quite busy or sometimes it seems like their receptionists just don't pass on the message.

Does anyone know a dentist in Vancouver that they have shadowed before in Vancouver?

Or any general tips?

Thanks

on the tails of this thread, without trying to change to topic... I was just wondering what shadowing involves? Is the student literally following the dentist around all day, quietly taking notes/observing, and maybe asking questions?

If so, why do people on these threads say crazy things like "I shadowed for 100 hours"...?

i've been shadowing this month and you are right! basically silently watching...taking some notes... my dentist seems to really love teaching and explaining so i'm having a pretty good time (even though there is no chair for me to sit on all day except during lunch lol)

however, there are boring days where you don't get to see anything except 5-6 people coming in for a simple cleaning (probably not as boring when you have to do it as a dentist but pretty boring standing there watching all day!) so i have to hope for my next shift to be more exciting/different...and eventually 100 hours go by pretty fast lol

plus, you can walk around asking the assistants questions about different equipment or procedures, see what you can learn...cuz some might not take you around explaining things unless you proactively ask - that way you can try making your 'long' 100hr stay more pleasurable =]

i think NYU recommends 100 hours.. although i think ppl do get in there without completing all that?

ps. sorry to the first post! i know nothing about vancouver =(

Archived