Premed 101 Forums

does anyone else feel pressure to leave cda for med school?

everyone has something to say if they find out that i want to go to med after grad school, which i'm about to start now. they inevitably tell me i'll be wasting my time and sagely advise me (with no personal experience to back it up) that i should go to the caribbean.

i'm NOT saying the carib isn't a good option, it just isn't the best option for me. i don't get why people who don't know jack about this process feel entitled to tell me i'll be too old after a grad degree (i'm as old as your average new grad student). i have my own reasons for wanting to stay here, but when i say i want to stay in canada, i get "who cares? you'll make more money in the states anyway" as though that's all that could possibly matter to me.

i'm at a loss for what to tell these people who keep pushing and they just keep pushing. does anyone else have this problem? i don't feel like sharing my whole life story with everyone who asks, but "it's something to look into" and "it's not the right choice for me" are failing me miserably. i feel good about the steps i'm taking to make myself more competitive...until these folks start babbling on about "wasting time" and "ticking clocks."

I just stop telling people that I want to pursue medicine. Just as you said, people want to meddle in your business and try to dictate how you should go about it...mind you none of them are drs. I just tell them I'm not entirely sure what I want to do, I'm just waiting to see where the road will lead me to?....and they just leave it alone from there.

________

Dodge Journey

haha lucky you! i said that once to my uncle and i got the most disappointed look and then the "you don't know what you want? you young people have no direction or ambition! what is the world coming to!" etc spiel :P anyway most people know it's my childhood ambition so they ask. i would just dearly love to have a nice polite zinger to toss back when i get those pointed questions. guess i'll just have to deal!

haha lucky you! i said that once to my uncle and i got the most disappointed look and then the "you don't know what you want? you young people have no direction or ambition! what is the world coming to!" etc spiel :P anyway most people know it's my childhood ambition so they ask. i would just dearly love to have a nice polite zinger to toss back when i get those pointed questions. guess i'll just have to deal!

Oh trust, my siblings and cousins are all either in medicine, law, engineering, pharmacy or journalism. Hence- my family has high expectations of me. When I didn't get in after my first undergrad, my entire family and extended family was pretty disappointed. Furthermore, ever since the age of four I've been saying "when I grow up, I want to be a Dr." And I had no back up plan because I was so certain medicine was the only career choice for me.

I hope you find a solution

________

Burn Notice Dicussion

I think you should stop posting and go to the carribbean... nah i'm j/k.

TBH though, if you're ONLY doing a grad degree to get into medicine, you should probably really reconsider international schools. Doing a grad degree, especially a masters is a pretty large gamble. To make up for lower undergrad marks (which I'm guessing you might have since you bring up the carribbean), I suspect you will need quite a stellar grad degree which is not easy to do. Don't think that after a grad degree you are automatically better off in terms of the application process. The worst case scenario would be doing a masters (or even PhD) that you didn't want to do in the first place and then finding that you still can't get into canadian med schools but now have 'wasted' all that time (I personally don't think grad school is a waste of time independnet of what it can do for your med school application). It is becoming harder and harder and more and more people even with high GPAs are resorting to the grad school route.

I'm not trying to pressure you into going to international schoosl, but you have to be realistic about your chances. I also hear (no substantial backup to this) that it is becoming easier to come back to Canada after going to the carribbean. Again, this is just something to think about. Alot of times people have knee-jerk responses to going to the carribean that these days may not be warranted anymore. It is getting harder and harder to get into canadian med shools and I don't think that trend will end anytime soon.

Just make sure you're doing a grad degree for the right reasons.

thanks wavesense, but i'm doing a grad degree for myself in something i like. i can see myself going down that road if med doesn't work out. of course, it's a plus that it'll help in my applications down the road too.

i've interviewed and been waitlisted here before, so i know the process and i know a grad degree isn't an easy way in. also, like i said, the caribbean IS a good option, but for a variety of personal reasons it isn't for me. it seems like everyone has something to say about it these days though - for instance, my very elderly neighbours who keep telling me to "just go." possibly because i am too polite, i don't know what to say in return. however, i like the law's philosophy :D screw em!

i said that once to my uncle and i got the most disappointed look and then the "you don't know what you want? you young people have no direction or ambition! what is the world coming to!" etc spiel :P anyway most people know it's my childhood ambition so they ask. i would just dearly love to have a nice polite zinger to toss back when i get those pointed questions. guess i'll just have to deal!

What about "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost" by Tolkien?

thanks wavesense, but i'm doing a grad degree for myself in something i like. i can see myself going down that road if med doesn't work out. of course, it's a plus that it'll help in my applications down the road too.

i've interviewed and been waitlisted here before, so i know the process and i know a grad degree isn't an easy way in. also, like i said, the caribbean IS a good option, but for a variety of personal reasons it isn't for me. it seems like everyone has something to say about it these days though - for instance, my very elderly neighbours who keep telling me to "just go." possibly because i am too polite, i don't know what to say in return. however, i like the law's philosophy :D screw em!

I feel you kumari! People, especially the ones who no next to nothing about medicine, just say "go to the Carribeans" ...I think they are just trying to be helpful, but after a point it just gets irritating. I'm sure if you got interviews you are a strong applicant, and if staying in Canada is what you want, keep at it.

Archived