Premed 101 Forums

Need Some Advice

Naida

GPA 3.2

BSc in Nursing

3.5 years full-time experience working as RN @ Neurosciences Ward

Random Volunteering: tutoring, fundraising

I will be starting all the pre-reqs for the MCAT this September. Then I will do the MCAT. I really want to get into med school - just as everyone else here does. I have lots of experience in the healthcare field and that's where my passion is.

-Do I need physics in order to write the MCAT? Physics is not a pre-req for UBC med School?

-Also, does, anybody know whether the biochems and organic chems can be taken simulatenously or does one build upon the other. Because if that's the case then it'll take 2 years to complete 2 biochems and 2 organic chems!

Please offer me any advice. What do you have to say about nurses/pharmacists and other healthcare professionals applying to med schools???

Physics is on the MCAT, but I wouldn't say that you necessarily need to take it for that purpose... if you wanted, you would be able to learn it yourself... it's not difficult---a lot of high school stuff and basic physics... that said, if you're not strong in physics and don't think you'd be able to learn it youself without having taken a class as a basis, then take it... but if you're good at physics/math (math isn't important, but same concept), you don't need it as long as you study for the MCAT... HOWEVER, physics may be a prereq for some schools (i forget)... i'm pretty sure it def is for the states, could be wrong though

Biochem and Orgo are 90% independent (in terms of material overlap)... i don't want to say 100, because I'm sure higher level biochem does involve a fair bit of orgo, but at the basic level, you don't require orgo in biochem (in my experience)... they are way different... biochem is memorizing stuff... orgo is learning about organic chemicals, their properties, reactions, etc etc (very problem solving based nature)

as per what I have to say about nurses/pharmacists applying to med school... i dunno... go for it? definitely not at a disadvantage, if anything at an advantage with regards to the direct health care experience

hope that helped

Thanks, that does help. Since it's been about 7 years since I've taken a physics course, I will just take a term of first year physics and see how I do. With my Undergrad GPA being very low, I will be trying very hard to bring up my GPA with the Pre-reqs and taking some other courses to help boost up my GPA.

If you don't mind listing your stats then we could probably be of a little more help.

ie

Your GPA for each full-time study year?

Your residency?

It sounds like you're planning to apply to UBC?

You just might want to do the calculations yourself for what your last 60 credit (last 2 years) are worth GPA-wise and your science GPA (at least I think it's science GPA.. could be pre-req I forget).

I'm just saying you might want to consider all of these things because some schools only consider GPA from years that you complete a full-course load. And it seems like you want to up your GPA soooo...

GPA:

1st year: 2.8

2nd year: 3.0

3rd year: 3.2

4th year: 3.2

Yeah, I really need to work on that GPA. I haven't taken any of the pre-reqs for med school aside from English. So, I am taking chem 121, physics 100, and Bio 140 this term @ UBC. Planning on doing really well on these courses and the rest of the pre-reqs to help with that GPA. These courses plus the biochems, organic chems, will take me 2 years. I was thinking of taking some psych courses ( I enjoy psych and do well in it) within this period of time since next year when I do the biochems and organic chems I will only have those courses to do. I know that my GPA is low and I really have to work on improving that.

Archived