Premed 101 Forums

Anyone else feel as if they're lagging behind?

I started University late due to family reasons, and most likely will do a Masters as my undergraduate GPA is not exactly stellar.

For anyone else in the same boat, does it seem like you're lagging behind "in life" so to speak? Sometimes I get really depressed/bitter when some of my younger classmates have already been accepted to Medical School whilst I continue to chase a goal that seems to fade as I continue to get older.

I personally think the whole world needs to slow down and take a breather and realize that being in school, and getting that degree as fast as you possibly can isn't always a realistic goal, nor should it be. I think there's just as much to be learned in school as there is out of school. I say, take your time, and just follow your path, whatever it is.

All the best to ya!

Take it from someone who is taking a year off and confused about what she is doing with herself, and can't seem to catch a break and find a job/research position/whatever! :(

Yiddo - I feel like that sometimes. Usually when I've had a bad day. I make a big effort not to give into negative thinking, and while it usually works, I do have my lapses. I think that's normal.

Havefaith - good luck finding a job/research position in this economic climate. There are positions to be had out there, but you really need to network.

I started University late due to family reasons, and most likely will do a Masters as my undergraduate GPA is not exactly stellar.

For anyone else in the same boat, does it seem like you're lagging behind "in life" so to speak? Sometimes I get really depressed/bitter when some of my younger classmates have already been accepted to Medical School whilst I continue to chase a goal that seems to fade as I continue to get older.

I didn't even realize my interest in medicine until I was approaching my mid-20s and already had one child. I often feel like a late-bloomer and stuck behind...I could be graduating with an MD by now! But the older we are, the more mature we are, the more life-experiences we have, and the more "certain" we will become with our discernments.

Don't sweat it--if anything, we get another question to answer on the applications for our age ;)

Quite honestly I am really glad that I took a few years off school and applying to have a life. I have tried out several careers, have a house, children and a husband. I know what I want and what I will never do again and I think that I will be a better doctor for that.

I had my children at a teaching hospital and I saw third year meds students in clinical clerkships who were afraid to pick up a baby because they had never held one before. Doctors need life experience to interact with patients and I think more students should spend time doing other things between their undergrads and med school.

Quite honestly I am really glad that I took a few years off school and applying to have a life. I have tried out several careers, have a house, children and a husband. I know what I want and what I will never do again and I think that I will be a better doctor for that.

I had my children at a teaching hospital and I saw third year meds students in clinical clerkships who were afraid to pick up a baby because they had never held one before. Doctors need life experience to interact with patients and I think more students should spend time doing other things between their undergrads and med school.

lol.. just because you saw a med student afraid to handle a fragile newborn doesn't mean students aren't getting as exposed to life as anyone else. That's what all those ECs were for. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I encountered a number of those scared third year med students while having my daughter. I recall one who was ridiculously afraid of all the pregnant women in triage. It was almost funny. :P

I feel behind.

I took an extra year of high school when I didn't need to

Took an extra year of university

Taking a year off this year.

:(

But, at the same time, I have gained a lot of great experiences. I think I can safely say I've explored almost all other health-related options (through volunteering, work, research, in depth discussion with health professionals, etc...) and can safely say I truly want to be a doctor :D

Now all I need is my MCAT score to show that I'll make a great pediatric oncologist :o

Yeah, I encountered a number of those scared third year med students while having my daughter. I recall one who was ridiculously afraid of all the pregnant women in triage. It was almost funny. :P

Most of my children's care have been by medical students--some were wonderful, some over-cautious (esp. with the questions!), and others were like brick walls--LOL. The variety of personalities and experiences each student has will make them unique doctors...I think that's quite exciting.

I feel behind.

I took an extra year of high school when I didn't need to

Took an extra year of university

Taking a year off this year.

:(

But, at the same time, I have gained a lot of great experiences. I think I can safely say I've explored almost all other health-related options (through volunteering, work, research, in depth discussion with health professionals, etc...) and can safely say I truly want to be a doctor :D

Now all I need is my MCAT score to show that I'll make a great pediatric oncologist :o

Naw, you need the MCAT score to show you'll be a great student and then you'll need great rotations to show you'll be a great pediatric oncologist ;) Lol--that's a difficult field, I hope you get there.

Naw, you need the MCAT score to show you'll be a great student and then you'll need great rotations to show you'll be a great pediatric oncologist ;) Lol--that's a difficult field, I hope you get there.

Heh, touché

It is a difficult (very emotionally exhausting) field of medicine, but I feel that I can make a difference if/when I do become one (but don't we all, lol)

Heh, touché

It is a difficult (very emotionally exhausting) field of medicine, but I feel that I can make a difference if/when I do become one (but don't we all, lol)

Lol--it was just in jest.

Definitely challenging--hope you get to enjoy it (in the best possible sense).

lol.. just because you saw a med student afraid to handle a fragile newborn doesn't mean students aren't getting as exposed to life as anyone else. That's what all those ECs were for. :rolleyes:

True enough, but as a parent it would have been nice for at least some fake confidence :P

Yes yes yes. Many of us share your sentiments. You are not alone. I wonder how long the process will take, this yr? the next? There is not point in stressing it just make sure you are enjoying your life in other respects in the meantime. As long as you have health you have everything in the world.

I personally think the whole world needs to slow down and take a breather and realize that being in school, and getting that degree as fast as you possibly can isn't always a realistic goal, nor should it be. I think there's just as much to be learned in school as there is out of school. I say, take your time, and just follow your path, whatever it is.

Couldn't agree more :)

I've come to the conclusion that this process isn't a race. Do your own thing your way at your own pace and the chips will fall as they may. :)

It absolutely is not a race and you are entirely correct. Also, it is about the journey and we should enoy the journey including the detours or go play another game.

I concur, its not a race. at 41 I am applying for the 5th time to UBC after being on the wait list all summer. I would not trade my life experiences as a paramedic for the last 20 years for getting into med. school. These experiences will only make me a better Dr. and I KNOW that I want to be a physician. I have a friend in 3rd year and in her 2nd year, 4 students dropped out b/c they weren't sure they wanted to be DRs. anymore!!!! Hello... and I didn't get in! They were all in their early, mid twenties. Good things come to people that wait, it will happen. Good MCAT or not. Mine sucks by the way, but I was wait listed all the same. I am sure b/c of my EC's and not on my marks. Kudos to the person wanting to be the pediatric oncologist, that would be my dream job as well, unfortunately at my age, residency is probably out of the question and a GP is what i will be.

Archived