Premed 101 Forums

Advices about dental schools admission and directions

I completed my honors bachelor of science with gpa around 3.0 and am currently finishing up a master degree in science with good gpa. For the DAT, I have written both the Canadian DAT (RC 15; BIO 23; GC 23; TS 22; AA 20; PAT 21) and the American DAT (AA 21; PAT 19; QR 17; RC 16; BIO 24; GC 22; OC 27; TS 24).

I am currently applying to dental schools in the US. Although the dental school tuition fee there is expensive, I have been told that it will be paid back within a few years after graduation.

There are two thoughts that make me quite insecure. Firstly, I think my chance of getting in is low. Secondly, I am not sure if I will be able to pay back the loans with cosmetic dentistry.

People around me would most likely describe me as detail-oriented, compassionate, and family-oriented. Any advices for increasing my chances of admission to dental schools, or advices about career direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Contrary to belief, it takes longer than a few years to pay back your HUGE loans. One of my bosses took 6 years to pay off his loan. My other boss is still paying after 5 years after graduation and does not anticipate paying everything off for another 2 years.

Keep in mind, how long it takes for you to pay back your loan depends on how expensive your school is, ie. NY costs 84K for tuition, living, etc. PER year. Most private schools for which Canadians are eligible for are far more expensive than state schools (my bosses went to state schools). Expect a debt between 150K to 300K. PS. Student loans in Canada do not cover enough - you will need to borrow from the bank and they charge interest on the get-go.

However, if Dentistry is what you believe you enjoy, then the debt is a small price to pay. My bosses certainly aren't leading frugal lives, but do not expect to pay everything off in a few years.

Archived