Premed 101 Forums

anybody hear anything?

Guest IF

The admission office said the last batch of interview invites will be sent out Thur, Fri, and Mon and Tues of next week and that'll be it. They are also going to call or send an email the moment they send out your letter, which means if no call or email till Tues, then it's a rejection.

Has anybody here received anything? I'm so anxious I can't even sit still except for checking my email ten times a day.

Guest Cinderella

Haven't heard anything yet . . . so I'm self-medicating with shoe purchases.

I called U of T today, and was told that they have all the applications reviewed, and that the delay stems from their not being able to find interviewers. She said they'd try to get interview invites out today and tomorrow (!), so keep checking your email and good luck!

Anyone hear anything else?

Guest persistenc3

Hi IF,

I know exactly how you feel. This waiting is really driving me insane. No, I have not yet heard anything.

I called the admissions office twice today and they informed me that within the next couple of days, they hope to send all the remaining the interview invites for the upcoming weekend. The man that I talked to this morning in the admissions office mentioned that the applicants who will receive the invites should receive an email from the office by monday. (they are actually planning to send a lot of them over this weekend.) He also mentioned that the applicants who are going to be receiving the invites are from the metro area (not OOP or areas outside the greater toronto area !!!??). I really don't know if he is correct on this.

Anyways, good luck to all those that are waiting and hope everyone's dreams come true!!!!

Geez, can't believe they are working on weekends too.. Now Monday is starting to feel like D-day, sort of like a count-down. Why do they have to make it such a nerve-wrecking intense experience for everybody? Hey, I'm also shopping like crazy, been swiping my debit card so often these days and sort of living at the mall. Somehow the distraction helps, but still, each day is so slowwwwwww. I'm also reading lots of novels :) I've had interviews at all four other Ontario schools, considering each school has different criterias and all interview about 400 people, it seems like I'm making all the different cutoffs and is competive amongst the applicant. It just makes no sense if I don't get an interview from UT, what the heck do they want?

Guest Angelina

I have also had interviews at all of the other Ontario schools and Uof Cal. Not UofT...yet! This may seem like a silly question, but considering that we have had interviews everywhere, what kind of chance is their that we will be rejected everywhere??? All of my interviews went well (I think) but I just can't calm down wondering if I might be rejected! Tell me what you think about our chances.

Guest RAK2005

I've heard that the "magic number" for getting into Ontario schools is three interviews ... That being said, there are excpetions, but here's hopin' you get in somewhere!

[Man, am I EVER procrastinating for finals...]

Guest Mesoderm

I know this might be off topic, but just in reply to RAK2005, how long do exams go for U of T meds? I hear you start the year early (in late August) and late end as well? Do you know how this compares to other med schools?

Guest UTmed

In response to the question about how long our exams go..... We are done our written exams by May 27th. We don't have an exam week as in undergrad where we are examined in several courses. Our exam is the final exam for our Brain and Behaviour course. After that exam is done, we have our clinical exams where we have to take a history and do a physical exam on a patient and we are marked for it. Those exams go until June 1st. As for when we started the academic year, I believe it was the last week in August (if I remember correctly). Hope that helps.

Guest YongQ

Our first class (i.e. had to learn some medicine) was on Aug. 27th or 28th. It's at the end of Orientation Week.

Our exams (including ASCM = clinical skills) end May 31st. I'm not sure how this compares with other schools.

YONGQ

Guest persistenc3

Just wanted to update everyone. I just called the admissions office and they told me that as of now they have sent all interview invites for the upcoming weekend and if you have not yet heard anything from them, you will soon be getting a refusal letter in mail. Apparently, they emailed all the selected interviewees over this past weekend.

Guest boo UT

I just spoke to the ppl at UT, and I can confirm that. It seems also that they can't tell you over the phone of your status. So there's no official closure until we get that rejection letter in the mail.

Guest Kirsteen

Bugger!

Thanks: I appreciate the post and the "pulling", but unfortunately I received my naughty UT letter in the mail yesterday. Och well. Hopefully next week's post will reveal a letter much more golden.

Cheers, and best of luck to all of you interviewing at UT this weekend. Allow me to pass on some good words that my very Scots aunt says (now, on a bi-weekly basis!): "What's for ye, won't go by ye"!

Kirsteen

Kirsteen,

I've read a few of your posts on this message board and can tell that you're an amazing applicant. Certainly you appear to have experiences that are superior to many of the third and fourth year applicants that DID get interviews. Plus you seem to be a more grounded and "nice" person than many med students , at least from what can be ascertained from those posting on message boards. This is more proof that the application process does involve quite a bit of luck, and is far from perfect. I heard U of T had lots of trouble finding volunteers. Maybe even some of the people that ended up volunteering did so grudgingly. I think that if one of these people read your essay, it might not have been judged using silly, superficial reasons rather than on it's own merit. Unfortunately there's no way to prove that something like this has happened. Anyway, best of luck with UBC, and hopefully you'll be hearing some good news from them soon.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Kirsteen,

Sorry about the bad news from UT- it's totally their loss, trust me on this one. By the sounds of it, looks like UT's loss will be UBC's gain and that not a bad thing in the least!

Despite the sour feelings that must accompany (non?)news of this magnitude, you're still a good person and I am sure you will make an awesome physician for a very lucky sector of the population! :)

So keep your chin up and trudge forward, for the game is not lost, no not by a long shot! You have a bright future in this field and I'm behind you 100%!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest YongQ

Kirsteen,

Sorry about the rejection. Looks like the luck aspect of our admissions shut out another truly nice, accomplished applicant. I hope you don't have any lingering bad feelings about U of T, and I'm rooting for you getting into UBC!

YONGQ

Guest Kirsteen

Geez, I'm a wee bit red :o ; thanks guys. Nope, no hard feelings towards one of my almae mater at all. I've had a great time at UT and sure, it's a little scarier to have everything riding on one, fine school, but I'd be completely thrilled to head out west and will give anywhere that I go my absolute best.

...now as for the lingering feelings of my impassioned UofT squash coach, that's a completely different kettle o' fish!!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived