Premed 101 Forums

How do I classify these 3 activities?

Hi everyone,

I think I have most of my activities sorted out for the UofA application but I was not sure how to classify these 3 activities, maybe you could help:

1. Volunteering in an orphanage abroad- should that be under "volunteering" or "diversity of experience"?

2. I'm an exec in a committee that organizes a fundraiser for Canadian Cancer Society and I've raised about 5000 dollars so far- is that considered more of a "leadership" type of thing or maybe I should put this under achievements?

3. I've been lecturing to high school students about HIV (raising awareness)- is that considered "leadership"?

Thanks a lot, I've been really struggling with this!

lmao... ah. Ever so helpful, future_doc. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think all you have to ask yourself is if you're asked to defend or explain your ECs then how would you or could you explain how each was considered what you wrote them down as. Can you for example talk about what leadership decisions or roles you had to take when explaining HIV to kids? Can you explain the cultural importance of volunteering abroad? Things to consider. Hope that helps.

Hi everyone,

I think I have most of my activities sorted out for the UofA application but I was not sure how to classify these 3 activities, maybe you could help:

1. Volunteering in an orphanage abroad- should that be under "volunteering" or "diversity of experience"?

2. I'm an exec in a committee that organizes a fundraiser for Canadian Cancer Society and I've raised about 5000 dollars so far- is that considered more of a "leadership" type of thing or maybe I should put this under achievements?

3. I've been lecturing to high school students about HIV (raising awareness)- is that considered "leadership"?

Thanks a lot, I've been really struggling with this!

1) I would say "volunteering"

2) "Leadership"

3) NOT leadership. However, if you wanna put the first activity under "diversity of experience" (which is perfectly acceptable), you can use this as "volunteering" if you need another activity in that section.

None of these are clear-cut, though, so if you disagree with my grouping, it's not an issue.

Don't over think it. Don't repeat your activities in different categories. Don't worry about defending your choices - you won't be asked about it during your interviews (because the inteviewers don't have a copy of your file). Don't exaggerate your contributions.

You can put different activities into different categories just for the sake have having something in each. Realistically though, most people get pretty much the same score on the ECs section unless they're spectacularly good/bad.

Archived