Premed 101 Forums

Do US dental schools look at every course?

Does anyone know if US dental schools look at every course that you take, and weigh that in to the selection process?

I have the choice of taking 2 first year courses but a counsellor told me that it looks bad if you take too many first year courses, and her advice was to take more upper level courses?

Any opinions?

It depends from school to school. But every program requires you to take certain 2nd, 3rd and 4th year courses. So you can take first year courses as your electives and I don't think it would hinder your graduation. But if you want to continue after your bachelors then it is advisable to take courses from the year you are currently enrolled in. This makes it easier for the admission committee (for med schools, grad school, dentistry schools, etc...) to evaluate you and compare you with other applicants.

I am not too sure about the US dentistry schools but my guess would be that they would not count each and every course of yours in their evaluation process.

Yes there is a maximum number of first year courses that you are allowed to take, but I wont be exceeding the max by taking these 2 courses..

I guess I'll have to figure out which schools do and dont look at every course during the application process.

thanks anyway

If you won't be exceeding the max, why not? It'll boost your GPA. That's what I would do anyway.

Ya that was my mindset and part of the reason why I chose the first year courses in the first place, but the counsellor I spoke to said 'it looks bad if you dont have upper year courses on your transcript and professional schools looking at your application can see all the courses you have taken. And students that have more upper year courses will be give acceptance before you'

So im not entirely sure the first year courses is such a great idea anymore.

well in my case, I took upper level courses in my 2nd and 3rd year, so now I'm taking several first year courses without exceeding the max. I think as long you're not taking like 3 first year courses in each semester then you'll be fine. Besides, you've already submitted your AADSAS application, right?

Well no im behind on the dentistry game and will be applying next cycle meaning I will either have to take another year of school (im entering 4th year) or I'll just take a year off school. And I didnt take any first year courses last year so I think it might not be so bad if I took 2 first year courses this year :confused:

Archived