Premed 101 Forums

how to get a 30MCAT?

I have been away from school for a number of years and really need to get at least a 30 in the MCAT to be considered. How can I do this, when it has been many years since I have done any science courses?

Get a variety of study books and to tons of practice tests. It had been 4 years since I had taken any science when I wrote the MCAT this time and I got 3 points higher on my total score than the first time I took it which was right after doing the courses.

I'm a not-trad as well, and I've written the MCAT twice. The second write was necessary because my old marks reached their five-year expiration date, and cramming for the second was a bit more stressful than the first, seeing as my organic chemistry knowledge was acquired years previously. :o But I still managed to pull off a 34, so it is certainly possible to do well even years after undergrad.

The only thing I found necessary to study for and write the MCAT was one of those huge study guides; I think the one I used was called Fowler's. My local library had lots of study guides available on loan, so I managed to do the whole studying process for free.

Writing practise exams is also extremely useful, but in order to really gauge how good you are it is necessary to treat the practises like a real exam: give yourself the same time limit and don't cheat! These are excellent for revealing your weak points, and for the verbal reasoning part I found the only way to get better full stop was to practise, practise, practise.

I also find it good practise to write down small 'hypothetical questions' for myself whenever I find a point worth remembering during the course of reading informational material. For example, if I read a paragraph that says:

The reversal potential of an ion is the value of transmembrane voltage at which the electric force generated by diffusional movement of the ion down its concentration gradient becomes equal to the molecular force of that diffusion. (Taken from Wikipedia.)

I'd write down a study question on a flash card that says

Define the reversal potential of an ion, and explain how it is related to its concentration and electrical charge.

If I can answer the question on the flash card, I know that I understand the concept. This 'question and answer' approach was particularly useful when studying for organic chemistry. As a bonus, you can take these flash cards anywhere, and sneak in a bit of studying while on the bus or eating lunch without having to lug around big study guides. If you like, you can even write the answers on the back. ;) And while I'm sure these flash cards could easily be generated using a computer, I think there is great mnemonic value in writing things out by hand, so I did all of these the old-fashioned way.

Hope this helps,

Neptune

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a tip: Aim higher than a 30. If you've been checking out the queen's interview stats forum you'll see that the cutoffs hover around 10. I think to get a good shot you should aim higher, then the test is harder than expected you may end up with some tens anyway.

Not saying this to be hard on you. But I think it would be a shame to aim for a 10 in each section and then end up with at 8 or 9 in one of them and then miss a cutoff because the section took you by surprise in the actual test.

In terms of actual useful advice for you... Just check out the MCAT subforum and you will find tons of study tips but most importantly, do tons of practice exams and go over the questions you weren't sure about or got wrong.

It doesn't matter what you AIM for... you should be aiming for a 15 in each section... the things that matter are your study tactics and your tactics on game-day. Studying is very personal, so I won't give you tips here, but when it comes time to actually write the test MAKE SURE YOU BRING SNACKS. I really think that made a huge diff the second time I wrote.

Archived