Premed 101 Forums

Rejections?

Guest ALSOwaiting

Guest ALSOwaiting

Has ANYBODY recieved a rejection after the initial rejections that were sent in february to due to not making the MCAT or GPA cutoff?

At my school, not a SINGLE person has gotten a rejection since then. Everybody has either received an invitation for interview or is still waiting to hear from them.

Is anybody sure that they actually send rejections as soon as they review a file, or do they send all the rejections at the end?

Does this mean that my file may have already been reviewed and I didn't receive an interview?

Somebody please clear this up for me.

Also, last year, the same thing happened at my school. Nobody got a rejection until late April. Hope that isn't the case this year.

I heard the same thing - that they hold the rejections (save for the below GPA/MCAT cutoffs) until the end, so there is increasingly smaller chance of receiving an interview as most of us are probably already in the bad file by now.

Last year I knew of people receiving their rejections from late January right up until the end. So I'm still going on the assumption that no news means at least they haven't had the time to send me the POF letter yet.

Can someone who made the cutoffs (say more than 3.8 for GPA and better then 8/8/8/N for MCAT) and already received a rejection make a post here? I know I chose a fairly high GPA cutoff, but such a post would shed some light into this.

Guest Jase133

G,

I think you're right. Most of us who haven't received word yet are probably in the rejected pile. People I know who received U of T invites have fairly high GPA, etc.

yah...i'm yet to hear from a single person who got rejected. Seems like all the people I know, including one who got rejected in february last year, are yet to hear from U of T. In ways I think that U of T may be doing us a favour. For instance, let's say some of us who are waiting were in the first batch reviewed. We have mediocre GPAs (3.8) and stand a reasonable chance. Instead of just rejecting us right after review, they wanted to see what the other two batches have to offer. In order to attain a list of qualified applicants, they must be equally compared.

anywayz, my theory.

Guest The Fox

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let some of your fears to rest. I think you are stressing too much about GPA's. I had my U of T interview on the 23rd of March. Here's my stats, GPA: 3.84. MCATs : BS-11, PS-13, VR-11, W-S. I am in my third year completing a B.Sc/B.Sc in Cellular Molecular Microbial Biology (honors) and Psychology. I met a lot of people who were graduate students and others in their fourth year. I think those of you who have not recieved a rejection letter yet are still in the running. Hang in there.

Guest ALSOwaiting

I have a 3.97 gpa and I still haven't heard anything from Toronto. Take this information as you will, because I don't know whether to make it out as a good thing or a bad thing. I would really like to hear soon (as long as I hear something good!)

Contrats to those who have interviews, and if you're still waiting, I'm right there with ya, hoping that the only reason for the delay is that they haven't read my application.

Guest JSS02

I've heard of a few people with 3.8ish getting interviews and someone with as high as 3.96 (on the other message board) getting rejected by U of T. So if your GPA is close to 3.8 (or better), then you definitely have a chance at interviewing, if they like your essay etc.

Guest ALSOwaiting

How do you get to this "other" message board. I'd like to have more on my plate to distract me from less important things... like studying.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Anon,

Keep your head up there, buddy, you mentioned that you have other schools you're banking on, so there's nothing to be ashamed aboot! A couple of other schools think you're good enough for their MD program, so take pride in that- a number of people don't even get interviews as it is! :) The way I see it, I'm probably going to get the PFO myself soon anyway, and if nothing else, it'll simply serve as closure- to this point, I might as well have been rejected anyway since I haven't been contacted for an interview, so no skin off my back! Besides, like yourself, I've got other schools I'm banking on anyway!

Take care and best of luck on D-Day!

Timmy

Guest YongQ

JSS02,

Of course, you should always try for a GPA as high as possible. Which means that you shouldn't pass up a 4.00 for fear that they'll reject you because they like 3.85's better. Keep in mind, the essay markers and CV markers don't actually know what your GPA is.

Guest JSS02

YongQ,

I agree completely. Actually, the fact that I am closer to 4.00 than to 3.85 is probably one reason I have received an interview already, since I don't have activities that are nearly as amazing as some of the interviewees I have met. My point was just that people with 3.8X shouldn't be counting themselves out because of their GPA...

Guest utapp

does any one know how an applicant's gpa factor into the final selection process (after the interview). I got an interview invite with only a 3.72...I want to know if I actually have a shot against 4.0s.

Guest JSS02

Yes, the GPA is still worth 60% after the interview (which is worth 20%). However, the fact that they gave you one must mean that you have a chance, otherwise they'd be wasting both their time and your time.

Guest from ottawa

Hey utapp:

Are you a grad student. I am just asking because I though that with my GPA of 7.0 I pretty much had no hope. But as said before if they gave you an interview I think you have a pretty good chance.

Guest utapp

No...I'm graduating at the end of August....although I did the equivalent of 4 yrs in 3 yrs...but, I don't beleive they care what your workload is....wow the gpa is worth 60% :^(....how do they map your gpa onto that scale?

Guest JSS02

The admissions office won't tell anyone how they convert your GPA to a score out of 60. It's unlikely to be as simple as multiplying your GPA on a 4.0 scale by 15, since a 3.7 would be worth almost the same as a 4.0, when it's actually much more difficult to get an interview with a 3.7...

Archived