Premed 101 Forums

apply for Dal?

Yeah, it's not a clean conversion, since A+s and As have different weights. You have to convert it yourself.

OP, You've got an absolute minimum MCAT (The WS score doesn't count for much) and a cGPA that may not make the cut, if you're using the 4.3 scale to post those numbers. If money's not an issue and you're not doing much the next little bit, I'd say go for it, but otherwise you may want to look at other schools.

I hate to be a negative nancy but I doubt you'd get an interview with that GPA. Your 3rd year GPA is very good so if you can repeat that in 4th year I think you have a very good shot. I had the same MCAT score as you, and decided that I had to re-write in August. A huge pain since I've heard that 30 is the average score for admitted students but I doubt thats true. Maybe it is for other provinces and in the States, but with Ontario being the hardest jurisdiction to get into medical school, a 30 doesn't cut it in the schools that require MCAT. So if you are from Ontario and claim Ontario residency, my advice is to consider re-writing the MCAT. Although my 30 did get me an interview at Dal, I'm sure it played at least a small role in my subsequent rejection.

Obviously the best plan of action is to apply to all of the schools that you can to increase your odds of getting in. So if you strongly feel you have a good shot, by all means go for it. I wouldn't get my hopes up right now but you seem to be on a collision course to success so I'm sure you'll get in eventually. Good Luck!

now my GPA is on the 4.0 OMSAS scale

The biggest problem I have is "Non Maritime Applicants: A minimum GPA of 3.7 (on a 4.0 scale) based on a full class load of 5 full classes each year in the two most recent years of study prior to submitting an application."

I know I don't have a 3.7 in 2nd year but I know Western does something where you get a conditional assuming your 4th year is above the cut-off (3.75 min for two best years). Any of you know?

I doubt it'll work. Schools are usually pretty explicit if there are stipulations like that, and I think what's on Dal's site is pretty clear cut. You need a 3.7 OMSAS to be eligible for an interview.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you want certainty, give them a call.

now my GPA is on the 4.0 OMSAS scale

The biggest problem I have is "Non Maritime Applicants: A minimum GPA of 3.7 (on a 4.0 scale) based on a full class load of 5 full classes each year in the two most recent years of study prior to submitting an application."

I know I don't have a 3.7 in 2nd year but I know Western does something where you get a conditional assuming your 4th year is above the cut-off (3.75 min for two best years). Any of you know?

Dal asks for 3.7/4.0 in your most recent 2 years. Dal uses the OMSAS GPA conversion table, so you would have to use that to figure out the GPA dal will use. I never heard of dal ever giving conditionals, but I have heard that dal will allow you to use your most recent year + your best year instead in some cases (you should check with admissions office on that).

Unfortunately however, I don't think that your stats are high enough (since your first year was <3.7 as well) if you're OOP. Its also hard to get through with just meeting the min requirements for the MCAT, as there are only 9 available seats for OOP.

Dal asks for 3.7/4.0 in your most recent 2 years. Dal uses the OMSAS GPA conversion table, so you would have to use that to figure out the GPA dal will use. I never heard of dal ever giving conditionals, but I have heard that dal will allow you to use your most recent year + your best year instead in some cases (you should check with admissions office on that).

Unfortunately however, I don't think that your stats are high enough (since your first year was <3.7 as well) if you're OOP. Its also hard to get through with just meeting the min requirements for the MCAT, as there are only 9 available seats for OOP.

Dal is extremely lenient for IP students...and the stats for OOP are okay (you can still apply) but the numbers are terrible...9 slots and hundreds of applicants.

Dal is extremely lenient for IP students...and the stats for OOP are okay (you can still apply) but the numbers are terrible...9 slots and hundreds of applicants.

Dal's requirements for IP students are very lenient (3.3 GPA, 24 MCAT), but the actual competition is quite high. Dal used to give interviews to all IP students who met the min requirements, but have now become much more strict to who gets interviews (after starting with the MMI). The average GPA and MCAT for last year was 3.8 and 30 respectively.

Dal's requirements for IP students are very lenient (3.3 GPA, 24 MCAT), but the actual competition is quite high. Dal used to give interviews to all IP students who met the min requirements, but have now become much more strict to who gets interviews (after starting with the MMI)

Wondered when that would stop.

I was wondering if it's worth it applying to Dal

I have GPA of:

1st year: 3.644

2nd year: 3.68

3rd year: 3.87

3.74 cGPA

10B9V11P R for most recent MCAT

Do I meet the cut-offs?

Assuming you are in your 4th year, and you said you are Outside of Maritimes, that 2nd year GPA of 3.68 is kind of fishy since they look at your most recent 2 full time years, minimum 3.7/4.0 in each of those 2 years. Pretty close to me... Maybe give the admissions a call?

Assuming you are in your 4th year, and you said you are Outside of Maritimes, that 2nd year GPA of 3.68 is kind of fishy since they look at your most recent 2 full time years, minimum 3.7/4.0 in each of those 2 years. Pretty close to me... Maybe give the admissions a call?

I dunno, a cutoff's a cutoff. It's not like they're scrounging for people to go to their med school. It's all the same to me if you apply or not, since we're in different pools, but realistically, I think it'd be a waste of 100 dollars, since I don't think that GPA will make you eligible/competitive.

Just so you don't feel down (or at least so you've got someone to commiserate with), I can only apply to IP schools because of my GPA (3.65 OMSAS).

The OOP pool is very competitive, because there are a lot more applicants for a lot less spots. Assuming 3.68 rounds to 3.7, you'd have both your MCAT and GPA just meeting min requirements. I'm going to have to agree with w8--

Archived