Premed 101 Forums

Chances...

Guest ALSOwaiting

Guest ALSOwaiting

I haven't heard from Toronto yet and am very discouraged. Does anyone know if there is any significance to the interview date given (ie. is it better to have one date than another)?

Does anyone know approximately how many interviews they have left to do? If I haven't heard yet does it mean that I likely will not get an interview?

I hate waiting.

i'm in the same position as you...and I have basically let go of the waiting game. If u think about it, there is only one more interview weekend left to fill. I'm thinking chances are slim. But I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the applicants. Of the people who i know who got rejected in april last year, they all had 3.8's and made the MCAT cut-offs. I guess at this point, applications have been reviewed and they are making final comparisons for the last 100 interviews. It might be that all of us who are yet to hear are in the average range, and with our non-academic portions we are competing against each other. WHo knows?

Everyday I get so close to phoning in, but I then I don't feel like hassling them. I instead spend my time day-dreaming of what I will do this upcoming year, and sometimes take the time to send out my resume for jobs i see listed. Another tactic to ease the wait is to let the mail pile up in the box before u check it. Checking everyday just adds to the feeling of pessimism i think.

Guest cheech10

Relax.

I'm pretty sure that if you haven't heard anything yet, it's because they haven't looked at your application. At all. Because as soon as they do, they decide on your status and let you know. And there are still the late April and May interview weekends to fill, so don't get discouraged; only about half of the interviews have already taken place, and they are still sending out interviews for the late April weekend.

And the later interviews have nothing to do with marks, etc; it's random. Some of the best applicants I know have yet to hear from UofT. Just take it easy and keep checking the mail.

Guest YongQ

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> "... the later interviews have nothing to do with marks"<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> - um, that's false. I agree with everything else. :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi YongQ,

Okay, watch me snap up that bait!! Do you mean that interviews held in April/May are for applicants whose academics may not be as wildly strong as those in the earlier months? If so, this is the first time that I'd heard this as I was under the exact, same impression as Cheech10--that applications were sorted randomly into piles and then each pile was tackled in no particular order.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest cheech10

Yeah, Yong Q, tell us what's up here. Out of the people I know, the ones with *lower* marks and EC's have been interviewed so far, and those with higher marks are still waiting, so I'd like to know what you meant.

Guest medwant2b

"... the later interviews have nothing to do with marks"

I think there is a bit of confusion here...

The last batch of interviews being granted based on a lottery--with total disregard for marks doesn't make any sense.

I think what is meant is by "...have nothing to do with marks" is --- the people are sorted randomly into groups.

You still compete within the group--and have to have a good GPA when compared to others in the random grouping.

The randomness of the group assignment means the best applicants aren't necessarily interviewed first. It means--it is random when the best and not-so-good applicants are interviewed.

Of course... if you know your statistics --- if the groups are sufficiently large... the groups will be pretty much the same. So really... the best, the best-of-the-best, and not-so-good are interviewed early, in the middle and late in the interview process.

I hope this makes some sense...

Guest YongQ

I just posted this as there was somebody who claimed on another thread that the last batch of interviewees are randomly chosen out of the general applicant pool without <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> any<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> evaluation of their marks.

I may have taken this comment the wrong way, as everybody probably knows U of T has the 3.8 GPA cutoff that is roughly adhered to - but if somebody who knew nothing about U of T admissions visited this site for the first time, there'd be confusion. Kirsteen, you first impression was correct. What I think Cheech was getting at is that if you're an April/May interviewee, this means you have excellent marks. But compared to everybody else interviewed during any round, you can't tell where you are.

Guest ALSOwaiting

Does anybody know if they are done sending invitations for the april interview dates?

Also, is it true that interviews are longer this year than they were last year? I heard that the interviews last year were only half and hour, but this year they are closer to an hour.

Guest JSS02

The letter inviting me to the interview says that it will be about 45 minutes long. That's what I thought it was in previous years as well. Of course there's going to be some variation, though. Some people could have 30 minute interviews while others have ones lasting an hour...

Guest maxell

Interviews this year are 45 mintues long just like last year.

And, it is more likely that there will not be a variation in time than there will be. Of all the interviews I have had, all adhered to the alloted time frame, and one of the interviewers present keeps time and points out when the time is up. I think this is part of the "standardization" process to give all candidates an equal chance to do well.

Archived