Premed 101 Forums

more medical schools?

kiron

I'm just REALLY curious why Canada only has so little medical schools compared to the US. Seriously are medical schools has ridiculous competition with a less than 5% chance rate of acceptance for the average applicant. Why don't more medical schools get approved? I thought Canada needed more doctors? Before anyone says we don't have enough residencies spot, I see most hospital quite understaffed due to budget cuts, why can't they just fill those spots with residents? It's a win-win situation.

What Jamer said....and also staff.

1) You need hundreds of millions to provide the buildings for medical school..

2) You need tens of millions to get the equipment

3) You need millions to pay the staff

4) You need to find said staff. E.g. We have like 40 different preceptors a week for all of our small groups - that's a lot of busy MDs/PhDs you have to track down and ask to contribute their time to our learning.

If you want we can go ahead and open one. We can get balsillie to front us the cash since it doesn't look like he's getting a hockey team.

Haha! Could you imagine? Maybe you are really onto something here....The Balsillie School of Medicine – located on the same block as CIGI and the Perimeter Institute.

;)

I'm just REALLY curious why Canada only has so little medical schools compared to the US. Seriously are medical schools has ridiculous competition with a less than 5% chance rate of acceptance for the average applicant. Why don't more medical schools get approved? I thought Canada needed more doctors? Before anyone says we don't have enough residencies spot, I see most hospital quite understaffed due to budget cuts, why can't they just fill those spots with residents? It's a win-win situation.

I'm sure you're just being humorous, but you know it doesn't work like that. And yes, you can't just open more medical schools w/o a concurrent increase in the number of residency training positions.

I'm sure you're just being humorous, but you know it doesn't work like that. And yes, you can't just open more medical schools w/o a concurrent increase in the number of residency training positions.

You can. But it's stupid. Australia opened several new med schools and expanded all the existing ones between 2000-2006. Now all those Australian med students who are also Australian citizens and graduating in 2012 are worried about not getting a residency spot. The politicians keep saying the class of 2012 will be ok. To give them some credit they have increased post-grad spots a bit, but as it stands today there are still not enough spots to guarantee everyone direct entry into PGY1 after graduating in 2012.

Here most of us Canadian med students stress about getting into the residency program of our dreams. One thing we do not stress about is finding employment after med school. This concept is not even on the radar. I can't imagine the stress for these poor Aussie Meds. Think of it. Studying your butt off night after night with the thought of being screwed out of a job in the same country you will graduate from... Med school is not cheap. You need a job when you are done. We got it pretty damn good here in the great north.

Now all we need to do is be like Finland. Med school tuition = $0. Have I said I love Scandinavia lately??? ;)

Another medical school in GTA probably means the satellite UTM campus for UofT. I doubt York will have a medical school anytime soon.

Ya this would make more sense. Establishing a whole new medical school would be much more difficult than just adding sattilite campuses. I just heard that York has been campaigning heavily for their own med school, so who knows.

We have 10% of the US population. We have roughly 10% the number of medical schools.

That would work if the class sizes were comparable, but I believe the class sizes are generally much larger for US schools. Not really sure though, but just from looking at some schools, they generally are on the larger size of things!

That would work if the class sizes were comparable, but I believe the class sizes are generally much larger for US schools. Not really sure though, but just from looking at some schools, they generally are on the larger size of things!

Yeah, probably just comes back to the different funding model they have when it comes to this. As already mentioned, there's much more of a private interest in US education.

Plus, everything is bigger in America. :rolleyes:

I would also like to add that 3 of the schools are purely french based in Canada....

and ottawa and mcgill are half...

so that helps cut down your application even more...

And with little interest in OP applicats, if you are a.....OP applicant,

Differential acceptance based on location: Western, NOSM, and Ottawa

It almost comes to a point where you cannot even apply to majority of these schools

and this is without even looking at GPA, mcat, ec, research....

Archived