Premed 101 Forums

Including Class Projects in Sketch

Hi,

I have a question about including class related things in the autobiographical sketch. If I did a project for a class (it was organizing a huge event for the public), can I include that in either extra-curricular or other section? Because I feel organizing that event demonstrates a lot of skills I can talk about.

Thanks!

I def would although i can see some people saying since it was class related you cant. I really don't think we're given strict guidelines so use judgement and err on the side of giving yourself credit. I'm not sure what could go wrong....maybe the schools say "oh this wasnt a big deal" but i doubt it. anyway, if that's the worst case you dont have much to lose. At least that's my take.

I think any activity that can show a particular trait, aptitude or quality that the schools are looking for is definitely worth putting down, ... even if the activity may seem very trivial or insignificant. The OMSAS help gives a few examples, like camping and helping a neighbor out, which I would have personally thought of as insignificant.

And if Adcoms thinks it's insignificant, it's not a big deal. You never know, maybe one school might consider it valuable while another one doesn't.

I def would although i can see some people saying since it was class related you cant. I really don't think we're given strict guidelines so use judgement and err on the side of giving yourself credit. I'm not sure what could go wrong....maybe the schools say "oh this wasnt a big deal" but i doubt it. anyway, if that's the worst case you dont have much to lose. At least that's my take.

I don't think you should do that, it only shows a desperation of filling out more spaces, you have already been given a credit for it and mark on your transcript, so if you do talk about it then can everyone else talk about every single course they have ever taken? I am sure there's a lot we have learned from each course.

I don't think you should do that, it only shows a desperation of filling out more spaces, you have already been given a credit for it and mark on your transcript, so if you do talk about it then can everyone else talk about every single course they have ever taken? I am sure there's a lot we have learned from each course.

I just think it depends on how important and unique the activity is. Obviously if it's more than a rare occurence it could show desperation. If it is one thing, I'm not sure I'd call it desperate. But i guess that is where judgement comes in. I think I've done it twice but went through 7 yrs of school. Im not worried about it. And the last thing I'm worried about is everyone else.......I'm busy enough with my own life.

I personally wouldn't list it.

I was doing free first aid courses (didn't certify anyone, just general classes on how to do CPR for people in the community), my independent research project in 4th year, creating Picture-Exchange-Cards for deaf swimmers, and a lot of other school related projects -- but OMSAS does state not to put down school/academic activities, right (someone correct me if I'm wrong)?

Either that, or you could just neglect to say it was for school (since you did plan/organize the event)

But I agree with futuredoc, maybe putting it under "Other" may be for the best since it doesn't seem to fit into any other category

Archived