Premed 101 Forums

LOR length

Hey guys,

How long should a letter of reference be in general? One of my referees just emailed saying that her letter is a bit over 2 pages, asking me if she should cut it down... my guess would be around 1.5 pages is probably a good length LOR for med school... but maybe wrt letters written by a person who knows you well and is legitimately able to write that much about you (ie. as opposed to a prof you have done research for, etc), the longer the better?? --- obviously up until a point, in which the adcom would stop reading... is that point around 2 pages? Should I tell her to cut it down, or do some ppl have 2 - 2.5 page letters from people they've known for a while?

thanks

obviously up until a point, in which the adcom would stop reading
I'm not sure why you would think that there is a point in which the adcoms stop reading. I mean, if the LOR is getting out of hand (like 5 pages) I can see the adcoms getting tired of it. However, I think it's perfectly reasonable for a LOR to be approaching 3 pages. Like f_d said, if the referee is saying good things about you, I don't see any issue.

I'm not sure why you would think that there is a point in which the adcoms stop reading. I mean, if the LOR is getting out of hand (like 5 pages) I can see the adcoms getting tired of it. However, I think it's perfectly reasonable for a LOR to be approaching 3 pages. Like f_d said, if the referee is saying good things about you, I don't see any issue.

really? 3 pages? Interesting. I told my referees one wicked page would be great. In the past I've had some that went over to 1.5 and i felt that was odd. Never thought 3 would be ok......something to think about i guess

just gotto be careful it doesn't get dilutive. one not-so-important thing can have the effect its being stretched.

really? 3 pages? Interesting. I told my referees one wicked page would be great. In the past I've had some that went over to 1.5 and i felt that was odd. Never thought 3 would be ok......something to think about i guess

just gotto be careful it doesn't get dilutive. one not-so-important thing can have the effect its being stretched.

I say 3 because I work at a hospital and I've read letters that docs have written students for their carms app. The doc that I'm thinking of in particular wrote an amazing letter that was 3 pages. It was really powerful, yet still to the point. However, any longer than 3 pages and I would have been tired of the letters.

I agree with your diluted comment though. Repetition & fluff are not your friends when it comes to writing a strong letters.

I say 3 because I work at a hospital and I've read letters that docs have written students for their carms app. The doc that I'm thinking of in particular wrote an amazing letter that was 3 pages. It was really powerful, yet still to the point. However, any longer than 3 pages and I would have been tired of the letters.

I agree with your diluted comment though. Repetition & fluff are not your friends when it comes to writing a strong letters.

I've gotto think there's more to say about someone wrt to a Carms app but thats a generalization. Yeah in the end it depends on the letter writer. As much as I'd love a wicked 3 page letter, i think the main points could be sent across in 2 or less plus there's the CAF too.

I just remember back when i was in the corporate world.....if someone handed me a resume that was longer than one page, unless they freakin were 1 in a million id throw it out immediately. Not saying its like this....but i guess my previous experiences still are in the back of my head where the longer the resume or LOR, the higher the bar is raised. Nothing could be worse than a longer letter that is boring. It's like shooting yourself twice

Well, the problem is what to leave out. If the referee has not already cut it down, I don't know that I would encourage the referee to chop it for fear of what may be left out. So long as the confidential assessment puts the applicant in the top 10%, the optionsl LOR is gravy and it does not really matter where the reader stops reading. Moreover, a quick scan of 3 pages is about 30 seconds.

Well, the problem is what to leave out. If the referee has not already cut it down, I don't know that I would encourage the referee to chop it for fear of what may be left out. So long as the confidential assessment puts the applicant in the top 10%, the optionsl LOR is gravy and it does not really matter where the reader stops reading. Moreover, a quick scan of 3 pages is about 30 seconds.

yeah my assumption was that the elaboration was prolly a bit much if its 3 pages (details of specific examples and all that). If your confident your referee knows what they are doing you're fine. If your referee is a rookie your prolly still fine but it could be more detailed than needed. Either way, its not a bad spot to be in. I'm actually now thinking of tellin mine to go over one page if they want.

True about the quick scan.....didnt realize.

Is the top 10% some kind of rule of thumb? its a beyatch when your masters program has 20 people.

I don't know the rule of thumb to be honest, but putting you in the upper 50% is the kiss of death b/c it doen't say much about you as a competitive med applicant. Things being equal, i.e., we all have excellent grades, ECs, volunteering, decent MCAT, then I assume that the bare min. is top 20%. But b/c so many applicants are top notch, I think we need at least 10% to even be competitive and we should have some traits in the top 5%, etc.

In reviewing Esaays for the last month, I have been humbled by the number of extraordinary candidates with tremendous and unique accomplishments. Yes, its a numbers game and a lottery where you are well advised to cast a wide net, and b/c of the caliber of the average candidate, and b/c there are more candidates than seats, those accepted really need to stand out from the rest of us. I think even more important than being assessed in the top 10% is luck!

I dont know the ruloe of thumb to be honest, vbut putting you in the upper 50% is the kiss of death b/c it doen't say much about you as a competitive med applicant. Things being equal, i.e., we all have excellent grades, ECs, volunteering, decent MCAT, then I assume that the bare min. is top 20%. But b/c so many applicants are top notch, I think we need at least 10% to even be competitive and we should have some traits in the top 5%, etc.

In reviewing Esaays for the last month, I have humbled by the number of extraordinary candidates with tremendous and unique accomplishments. Yes, its a numbers game and a lottery where you are well advised to cast a wide net, and b/c of the caliber of the average candidate, and b/c there are more candidates than seats, those accepted really need to stand out from the rest of us. I think evenmoreimportant than being assessed in the top 10% is luck!

all good points - thanks

Archived