Premed 101 Forums

Undergraduate Exchanges

handleyj

So long as you keep performing to the same standard over there, it's not a problem so far as I know.

It is quite true that different countries have different marking systems, but the OMSAS and pretty much every other school in North America uses what are called WES tables to convert the grades. It's essentially a world standard formula for figuring out grade equivalencies between different educational systems. I studied in the UK for a bit and even though my transcript marks are 60s and 70s, these are counted as 3.9s and 4.0s so far as my GPA is concerned.

Just google WES GPA and you'll find lots of info. If you're choosing to study in a foreign language that's obviously going to be more of a challenge for you, but living abroad is a wonderful experience, and it looks good on your CV as well.

Best,

Neptune.

I did a search and could not find the answer I am looking for.

I would like to do an Undergraduate exchange in the winter semester of my 3rd year.

Where are you planning on exchanging to?

I think you are taking the right approach by seeking out more information - probably want to contact the schools directly as well.

Just found this on the OMSAS website:

Credentialing of Foreign Grades

Applicants, Canadian or non-Canadian, who have not met minimum course number criteria utilizing their Canadian or US data, and who require inclusion of their international education data, must have their foreign transcript assessed by World Education Services (WES). WES assessment greatly assists in the consideration of the application. Credentialing assessment means converting foreign academic credentials into their Ontario educational equivalents. Provision of the WES assessment does not replace the requirement for official transcripts.

Applicants should request that a course-by-course evaluation be reported for their foreign grades. The assessment will not be valid without an overall GPA. However, the admissions committees of the medical schools reserve the right to apply their own evaluation. WES evaluations must be sent directly to OMSAS by WES, and must be received by the application deadline, October 1, 2009.

If you intend to study abroad for one semester or one year, you essentially have three options:

1. Exclude this year from your gpa calculations (easy if the rest of your marks are good).
  2. Ask your home university to transfer the exchange credits and marks directly onto your transcript (certainly possible, and saves a lot of hassle).
  3. Failing that, have your transcript certified by WES according to the guidelines above.

I say go for it! You only live once. ;)

PS-Managed to pull a 3.96 on my exchange year, so it definitely wasn't a bad thing for me!

Archived