Premed 101 Forums

Research or Job

Doctor_Strangelove

Hey guys, would you put a summer research experience (an NSERC funded one) as a job or under research. I was working 40hrs/week and it felt like a job but in the end I did have my own project and I was doing research lol...

oh and what would you guys put first aid training under formal education? or EC activities?

hmm, different strokes for different folks.

i put my nserc funded research under 'employment' because it was my summer job, and i listed my nserc under awards as well (and explained it was in conjunction with my research project).

I think both ways are valid. :)

On the OMSAS Sketch when you put in Employment info, it states:

"Use the 'Verifiers' function to provide the name and location of your employer. Do not list research positions which are part of your graduate training or honours program. These should be listed under the Research section. NSERC summer studentship should be listed under the Awards section. "

So, I just put mine under awards.

On the OMSAS Sketch when you put in Employment info, it states:

"Use the 'Verifiers' function to provide the name and location of your employer. Do not list research positions which are part of your graduate training or honours program. These should be listed under the Research section. NSERC summer studentship should be listed under the Awards section. "

So, I just put mine under awards.

Oh ... wait.. honours thesis can't be listed? Where does it say that? I know a lot of ppl that are (according to this forum). So I ended up throwing mine in too. :D Vhat zee hay?

" I took out my first aid course from the sketch. It's pretty boring and I dont want to be forced to talk about it during the interview."

I wouldn't take it out... I mean it's boring but not insignificant.

"NSERC summer studentship should be listed under the Awards section"

Yes that is true, but I think having a separate entry for what you actually did research on is also appropriate.

What lost lamb said is what I've done for now, but still debating as to whether I should change the summer research from employment to research.

With regard to the First Aid course, was it because you were required to take it for something?

I also thought about including First Aid, but because it was a requirement for one of my jobs, I decided to leave it out. It's like saying you took Driver's Ed..

For NSERC, I put it as research.

Archived