Premed 101 Forums

Which program to apply as a CS/EE graduate? Is it possible

riching

I know it may sounds weird. I have a friend who got B.Sc (CS) from Waterloo and worked as Software Engineer for about seven years. Five years ago, he got tired with the software engineer job and went back to Montreal.

He got accepted by Mcgill Med School and finished his degree (do not know which program) the last year and moved to states.

I had a similar situation: tired of my CS job and wanted to give a try for medicine career (may sounds crazy).

1. Is there any program I can apply since my background is B.Eng/M.Sc all from Computer Science/Electrical Engineer?

2. I have a fairly low GPA 3.5+, however, I have been awarded with many scholarships due to exceptional research in Master of Science (computer network). One proof is that I have been admitted to Waterloo, UofT CS Ph.D, and another two Top 10~20 Computer Science schools in USA. Tons of world-wide magazine/journal publications (more than 10), again they are in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering field.

3. Do I need any pre-requisite courses to apply? Write MCAT should be the last thing I need to worry tho as I wrote GRE/GMAT with decent score.

One of the big reason for me to go back to school is I find there might be a big gap between utilizing advanced technology to serve the medical community. For example, when I was in USC (was doing my Ph.D and eventual quit because of do not like it) we had this project with med school to gather patient data via mobile phone sensors (such as iphone) for better analysis and alarm and so on (e.g., blood level, life patten). Do you think this could be a plus for my background?

Any comments will be grateful!

[quote name=

1. Is there any program I can apply since my background is B.Eng/M.Sc all from Computer Science/Electrical Engineer?

[/quote]

yes. as long as you have the prereqs

[quote name=

2. I have a fairly low GPA 3.5+, however, I have been awarded with many scholarships due to exceptional research in Master of Science (computer network). One proof is that I have been admitted to Waterloo, UofT CS Ph.D, and another two Top 10~20 Computer Science schools in USA. Tons of world-wide magazine/journal publications (more than 10), again they are in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering field.

[/quote]

3.5 is pretty decent

[quote name=

3. Do I need any pre-requisite courses to apply? Write MCAT should be the last thing I need to worry tho as I wrote GRE/GMAT with decent score.

[/quote]

GRE/GMAT may be different from the mcat. again, if you are applying to mcgill, you will need the prereqs

are you applying to the md/phd program?

Archived