Premed 101 Forums

NSERC Summer studentships

neurogirl

Just a quick question...how did you guys deal with NSERC USRA awards? I know that on the OMSAS sketch it says that you should list them as awards, but then you have no chance to explain what work you actually did etc..

So I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem, and if you think it is appropriate to list them twice (once under employment, where you can actually describe what you did) and then under awards so they know you got the NSERC.

Thanks for the input!

that's a good suggestion...however, this "method" would only work for one of the NSERCs I got (where I got a conference paper), for the other one I didn't get any publications, so how can I list it under research?:confused:

OMSAS can be really annoying at times!

Would it look bad if I listed it as employment since technically I was hired as a Research Assistant? I really want to have a chance to explain what kind of work I did, since I couldn't talk about all of my research experiences in my UofT essay for lack of space.

yeah I know it's a bit of a dilemma...I think I will just end up putting it as employment...I had a few other paid Research Assistanships in other summers, and those I put as employment since I was paid for them...and then technically the NSERC is award + university contribution ( a top up from your university/supervisor to reach the regular pay level for summer research assistants)

Archived