Premed 101 Forums

I could use a reality check...

I am dedicated to going to med school. It's not a life long dream of mine, but I have developed the desire in the past few years. I am an RN and I want to expand my practice and continue learning. I really believe I have what it takes. I am passionate about patient care! However, I'm feeling discouraged about my chances of actually getting in...

I have 2 undergrad degrees as B.Sc in Biology GPA 2.74 and a B.Sc in Nursing GPA 3.73. I have written the MCAT twice...21Q the first time, and after much studying only 24Q (6 PS, 9 BS, 9 VS) the second time (so disappointing!)

Any thoughts...encouragements..or suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks for reading!

A while ago, I read of someone who took the mcat four times. His first couple of scores were lower than yours..fourth attempt, he got around 36...

Have you taken a prep course...or have you used EK, or Princton etc..

Just thoughts, if you are thinking of rewriting..

And as was said, Ottawa and NOSM do not take mcat..and for NOSM, I believe if you are from a small town, you would stand a great chance with your nursing degree...

If it is what you want, keep going..

I am dedicated to going to med school. It's not a life long dream of mine, but I have developed the desire in the past few years. I am an RN and I want to expand my practice and continue learning. I really believe I have what it takes. I am passionate about patient care! However, I'm feeling discouraged about my chances of actually getting in...

I have 2 undergrad degrees as B.Sc in Biology GPA 2.74 and a B.Sc in Nursing GPA 3.73. I have written the MCAT twice...21Q the first time, and after much studying only 24Q (6 PS, 9 BS, 9 VS) the second time (so disappointing!)

Any thoughts...encouragements..or suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks for reading!

You do have a chance - especially with your work experience.

I have 2 suggestions:

(1) Look for med schools that will only focus on your best 2 years or last 2 years of GPA; you will not feel the impact of the low GPA from your first degree.

(2) Do your MCAT again. I really believe that practise makes improvement and it's likely that you will improve your score on the third try (especially of you get extra help via the correct prep course and/or materials).

It is possible. Good luck.

What province are you in? That can also have an impact on your chances as some provinces assess inprovince applicants differently than out of province applicants.

Even with your MCAT score, apply again. You can always write it again, never know what happens--perhaps the third time is a charm.

Fortunately, you have a good second degree GPA and as others have mentioned you have healthcare experience. This should provide good fodder for essays and interviews.

Good luck and keep on working towards your goal!

LL

• 2 months later...

I actually found the Princeton Review prep course helpful. Of course, this was more because of the mock MCAT (which we did in actual test situation, i.e. timed, with other students, in assigned rooms which they may no longer do with the computer test) and the preparation materials then the actual course component.

Archived