Premed 101 Forums

How much do interviews really matter?

Guest cheech10

Guest cheech10

No, I'm not asking about the 60/20/20 split. What I mean is, how much can they really differentiate between applicants in a short interview. It almost seems like as long as you're friendly, polite and not totally in the dark about medical issues the interviews would go fairly similarly for everyone. Similarly for the essay/autobiographical sketch. I know there's some variance they can see, but the information given to them is tiny and similar across the board I, expect. I think there were a few posts (here or elsewhere?) that said that most interviewees got 70 or 80% on their interviews, with only a few outliers both ways. So, how much variance do you all think there is in the interview scores?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cheech

You're right - interviews are not objective, and most people do fairly well in them. I think the point is that U of T is faced with ~1700 applicants, and the adcoms have to ask themselves, "What are the ways we can reject ~1480 perfectly good applicants?" Well, one way is by GPA cutoff. Another way is by evaluating your essay, your CV, your letters, etc. And so this gets it down to ~400 people. Well, the bottom line is that there's no way you can get this down to ~220 acceptances if every applicant still looks more or less the same. For better or for worse, I think of the interview as just a way to assign more numbers to candidates so they can decide whom they will accept - and these numbers (at best) loosely correlate with the applicant's interpersonal skills. I mean, to be realistic, this is the best they can do without using up too many resources - IMO there is no perfect method of evaluation of one's suitability for medicine, so an interview is just as good as anything else. This is why many people say acceptance to med school depends partly on your skills and experience, but largely on luck as well.

Guest DxRShawndx

Are you saying that if only about 200 ppl make it? If so I am going to Panick!! How is this fair? I thought maybe out of 1700 Aplicants at least 900 will make it. I also thought there is a need for doctors too.

2. I am Graduating in the Double Cohert system, hence more ppl are going to be applying.

Someone tell me is it that Difficult to get into Med school?

If I try my best and get a Good GPA and good MCAT score and good Interview I wont be accepted?

DxRShawndx, currently, there are 198 students in the first year class at U of T (out of 1700 applicants). There are about 650-700 students in first year meds across the 5 Ontario schools (around 4000 applicants in total). This has already increased about 150 or so from 3 years ago, and maybe more increases will happen by the time you apply. It's not really a matter of "fair" or not, there is only so much money (and university facilities, etc.) available to train new doctors. So yes, it's difficult to get in, but you don't want to have the attitude that you "can't make it." That won't do you any good at school, when preparing for the MCAT, etc...

Guest cheech10

Thanks for the input folks. I guess I'm just nervous and since the other parts of my application are very good, I was kind of wishing the interviews were worth as little as possible. Selfish maybe, but I can't help it; the application process breeds a desire to maximize one's chances of getting accepted.

DxRShawndx,

Don't worry so much about getting in (I know, a little weird coming from a nervous applicant who should take his own advice). I think you should get through your first 2 years, try your best, and hope for the best. It will still be possible to get in, although I imagine there will be a good deal more applicants in the double cohort. Don't forget there are many chances: after 3rd and 4th years, after a Masters, after time working, or after a Ph.D. There are succesful applicants who have gone all of these routes. If you really want to be a doctor, I really believe you will be someday. Good luck in your future,

Cheech

Guest Jase133

DxRShawndx

You are right. With the doubling of the class of 06s coming from OAC and gr 12s, you will undoubtedly face greater competition. Understand, however, that the process of weeding out does not begin in the application process. A lot of people have already been weeded out since first, second, and even third year.

Your efforts should be directed towards getting A's... as many as you can, and getting HIGH A's too.

Good grades + good MCATs = more interviews. It doesn't matter if person A is more "well rounded" than person B. If Person A doesn't have the marks, he/she won't get interviews which means no acceptances. Person B, with his/her monotone personality, will likely at least get into one school.

Good luck my friend

Guest cheech10

I couldn't agree more. When you start first year bio, almost every one of the ~2000 students (ie. in BIO150 at UofT) will be somewhat interested in medicine. By the time 3rd year and applications have come along, those numbers have plummeted. And you can always hope that they'll increase the spots.

Also, if it's a choice between high marks or good extracurriculars, the high marks are likely the better choice. With excellent marks and MCAT scores, you'll be almost guranteed an interview at Western and Queens, and likely get one at UofT and Ottawa. It's much easier to excuse fewer EC's than low marks.

Archived