Premed 101 Forums

AUG. 25th MCAT results OUT!

bj89

Depends. WS cut-offs have been at about a Q for Queen's, except for the odd year that it was R.

Plus I should mention that Queens adopted effectively their own writing sample last year. One would think that would reduce their dependence on the MCAT one for the future(?)

The sad part is I did change my approach. I was using examcrackers materials for the second and third time and the last time, I was finally able to get princeton to reactivate the online component of their course. THis allowed me to go online and do some practice tests/passages online. So often I used to work with the free verbal passages in the princeton website.

On average I used to put in 3h a day minimum in addition to my 8-10h lab work days which also included weekends when I used to work in the lab. I know it isn't much but this is from midnight to 3 or 4 in the morning. ON weekends when there wasn't too much labwork, I used to put in around 6h or so.

Those 3rd and 4th time were done when I had other busy things in the lab and my supervisor didn't care about what else i had to do. The sad part is the experimental animal model I worked on was a fail as well. It wasn't my fault though as my techniques were ok....i guess the model just didn't work as we expected it. Anyways..... no excuse is a valid excuse. I guess we just have to find a way. I had put in a lot of work into my app this year. I guess I'll give ottawa a shot. I know last year's cutoff was 3.85 so I know there isn't too much hope, but there is no point wasting everything i have gathered around this year.

As someone mentioned, it sounds like you might be sleep deprived. That could also be a factor. If you haven't already been using the AAMC tests, those were useful, particularly with VR. For the numberical sections, including VR I found doing as much practice as possible helpful; esp. with VR. (If its any consolation, I messed my WS, which it seems you are great at)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes!! I totally understand...who would want to go to a doctor who messed up his mcat 4 times.....I completely agree that its a terrible rep that will linger with me no matter what happens in the future. But the question is...how appropriate is verbal reasoning for judging the scientific understanding and capability of a doctor? I have read at some places that there is a correlation between verbal marks and scores in med school....but I don't know how significant it is.

The sad part is...I just don't know...I just can't wrap my head around verbal passages...no matter how hard I try.... I always score better on the paper practice than the computer ones. And when it comes down to the real mcat... its absolute panic.

Anyways.... there is no point pondering about it. I just don't know what to do at this point. I never imagined I would be in such a worse situation (MD perspective). I am considering applying to Queensland for the next cycle. My very close friend in UofT med school says I should give it another shot...but this time (just as most of you guys suggested) give it a break...somehow either write it after my masters or take a break and write it. He was like... "Dude... at this point...how much lower can it go?...either you give up at this point...or you try again and maybe it works next time...that will just be in your favor for schools that look at only the most recent mcat."

Either way...I guess I have to wait atleast till january. You know the ironic thing?? THe essay section is always the biggest concern for me after every mcat as I feel like I just pulled out random examples and arguments...but I guess it seems to be working consistently even though I haven't practiced writing a single essay or looking up examples specifically after the first mcat attempt. The sad part is...my physics is where I generally am the most comfortable and I never used to get below a 11 or 12 in prince practice tests and the aamc practice tests when I did those for my first mcat attempt. Bio is always a handicap as I struggle with synthesis questions in orgo. But verbal...I gotta say that I just don't know how to study for it or what to do. I did the princeton review course before my first attempt...that technique didn't work well for me. I used examcrackers technique from the next attempt and the second attempt gave me a 9. That led me to believe I can still do better.

EK method makes the most sense

read the passage as an entire piece and get the theme and just answer the questions

i normally wouldnt advise this, but have you tried verbal stuff from the LSAT? logic games and the like? perhaps understanding that will be the final barrier to overcome

thanks Bets. I just replied.

But what do you guys think honestly though? If I do write it again and manage to cross the cutoffs, do I have a chance at all with my gpa? I know my GPA will improve tremendously with UofT's system of removing two of your worst marks every year. (If they are still doing that).

thanks Bets. I just replied.

But what do you guys think honestly though? If I do write it again and manage to cross the cutoffs, do I have a chance at all with my gpa? I know my GPA will improve tremendously with UofT's system of removing two of your worst marks every year. (If they are still doing that).

What will it be with UofT's system? That's sort of what I'm relying on too for my GPA, because my program required me to take some pretty crazy courses.

If it's decent in UofT's GPA calc, then definitely don't give up. There are also American schools.

Again with the verbal, I think the key is going to be doing leisure reading, maybe taking an english lit course, and getting plenty of sleep before/after you practice passages. Also learn what your mistakes are when you do a passage. Try to categorize what types of mistakes you're making the most (i.e., factual distortion, roman numeral Qs, tone, etc).

Your friend is right, you lose nothing by trying again.

ETA: Western also takes only your best two years, right? So there's that too.

... My very close friend in UofT med school says I should give it another shot...but this time (just as most of you guys suggested) give it a break...somehow either write it after my masters or take a break and write it. He was like... "Dude... at this point...how much lower can it go?...either you give up at this point...or you try again and maybe it works next time...that will just be in your favor for schools that look at only the most recent mcat." ...

Your friend has the right attitude; good to know there's somebody encouraging you.

By the way, seeing as though you are going to write the VR part of the MCAT exam on a computer, I suggest you study and practise on a computer instead of using paper-based material. One's ability to understand written text is very different when viewing paper-based material versus on a computer monitor.

Many times in the past I've drafted business case documents or training guides in my job. I usually spot more mistakes only after I print the material. Don't know why.

yes!! Western only takes two best years and even queens uses the last two years for their gpa calculation.

Thanks guys!! I think I'll give it another shot. I just know that if I give up...I will regret it for the rest of my life thinking about what could have been.

I don't know... I guess If I have to point a single category that throws me off in verbal, it has to be passages relating to art history, literature and probably humanities in general. My brain just can't wrap around those passages. A perfect exampple would be that passage regrading oil paintings on the 25th mcat. I just couldn't make anything out of it.

yes!! Western only takes two best years and even queens uses the last two years for their gpa calculation.

Thanks guys!! I think I'll give it another shot. I just know that if I give up...I will regret it for the rest of my life thinking about what could have been.

I don't know... I guess If I have to point a single category that throws me off in verbal, it has to be passages relating to art history, literature and probably humanities in general. My brain just can't wrap around those passages. A perfect exampple would be that passage regrading oil paintings on the 25th mcat. I just couldn't make anything out of it.

for what its worth, i did a TON of practice and found the VR section of that exam to be the toughest of any i've ever done. I'm talking about "I think i should just go home now" type of tough. just dont get discouraged. work on your mental state when you do the VR section. Understand it will be tough, it will never be easy, and you've gotto get used to pushing through time and time again.

honestly bro theres a huge luck portion. i was also really lost on that oil painting one but i just tried my best. always try your best no matter how bad you think you're doing. luck was on my side that day as i scored higher than any of my diagnostics, so hopefully you'll experience the same on your next try. best of luck

Archived