Premed 101 Forums

Grad School Survival Tips

So one month into grad school and I'm already wishing I had never committed to the experience. Maybe its just me but... grad school is BORING! When I decided to do my Masters, I thought I'd be challenged - thus far, that has not happened. My in-class hours have been absolutely mind-numbing.

I apologize for the rant - I'm just completely devastated over how things have been going to far. Its disheartening to realize that my undergrad years were able to push me more than grad school has so far.

If anyone can give me some insight into how to improve things, how to survive - your words of wisdom would so be appreciated :)

I never understand why pre meds go to grad school. I know I would have hated it.

I guess it depends on where your interests lie. I've always wanted to do a project that combines health sciences with clinical applications and I found a supervisor who is trying to do just that. Knowing that my project has the potential to have real health care applications is really motivating to me and keeps me going. It also helps that I have a pretty good outline of what my goals are, so I am just working as hard as possible to do all the experiments I need to do (and crossing my fingers, hoping for some good results!!!).

I'm not 100% sure I will continue research in the future, but I really do enjoy it a lot. I mean, I'd never just do a basic science research project... but one that combines the two is right down my alley.

I guess it depends on where your interests lie. I've always wanted to do a project that combines health sciences with clinical applications and I found a supervisor who is trying to do just that. Knowing that my project has the potential to have real health care applications is really motivating to me and keeps me going. It also helps that I have a pretty good outline of what my goals are, so I am just working as hard as possible to do all the experiments I need to do (and crossing my fingers, hoping for some good results!!!).

I'm not 100% sure I will continue research in the future, but I really do enjoy it a lot. I mean, I'd never just do a basic science research project... but one that combines the two is right down my alley.

I feel the same way.

Although I didn't go the Master's route, and decided to get a research analyst position that places me in a research project that does what you just said (combining health science with clinical applications...sorta)

I figured the pay was better, it was less time commitment (1 year contract), and the docs I work with are awesome and will let me get into scrubs and observe their surgeries in the OR :D

Your in a position to learn a lot. I have matured and gained far more from my graduate experience than my undergraduate studies. You have to push yourself in grad school, its really what you make of your experience. I know students that have published nothing and have hated their experience .. or some that have 6-7 publications and succeeding beyond belief.

Your grad work will help you get residencies. People who think otherwise are ignoring the facts. Get papers and be enthusiastic about your work.. and you will start seeing some results and perhaps even like your work.

Having a poor attitude is not going to help your experience or progress..

Hmmm....what kind of grad program are you in?

I personally found grad school to be alot more challenging and frankly rewarding than med school ever was.

If you are just starting your program you really should have alot on your plate right now. You need to review the literature surrounding your topic, you need to come up with a research question and proposal. Maybe do a few trial runs before you commit to the plan to make sure it will actually work. Most funding applications are due around now too for next year....so could be filling those out.

Thing is in grad school nobody is going to tell you what to do. You sink or swim (granted this is supervisor dependent - that was the case for me - I do know others that had a more spoonfed approach). You make out of it what you want. And if you don't start working now, nobody else is going to do your work for you....and maybe that means not finishing within the normal time period. And I am assuming your program only has to commit to funding you for that normal period...so if you don`t work and finish late it isn`t their problem it is yours, cause they will have no obligation to even give you funding.

If you truly think your grad program is not for you then see if you can bail before you are in too deep. But you really have to at least put some independent effort into it.

Re: Satsuma and GoReds

I suppose its easy to make a judgement about another person's attitude or level of drive/effort if you don't know them or their situation. My level of dismay has little to do with having a poor attitude or being lazy. In regards to Satsuma's suggestion of applying for funding - I'm not eligible for the major awards and therefore cannot apply. I am in my first year of a direct PhD entry - as such, I do not meet the minimum 12-months of study required to apply to CIHR. As for OGS, as per my supervisor's personal advice, she doesn't believe its worth my time and effort to apply since she saw (in her time as an OGS reviewer) that students had to present with at least an 85-87% average to even be considered a somewhat credible candidate.

What else... in terms of thesis preparation - I have come into grad school knowing that my thesis would comprise of a project that has already been formated by my supervisors. As of yet, the project has not been granted REB approval, therefore work in that area is currently at a standstill.

What else.. in all honesty, grad level classes are hardly rocket science. Perhaps I was well prepared for grad school during my undergrad - I don't know. The only thing that I do know is that during my seminar on Tuesday, I witnessed an unprecedented phenomena - at least 75% of my classmates did not know how to use Scholars Portal. The most shocking thing about the whole incident was that my professor didn't seem appalled.

Everyone has a unique grad school experience - mine thus far as been dull. It's not due to lack of effort, laziness or inadequate motivation.

I feel like I made all the possible wrong turn while trying hard to make best of anything.

First, the thesis I thought I would be doing turn out to be not a plausible research project. It's not like I was duped or anything, but I felt little bitter in finding out after a week I started, because during summer I was requesting a meeting with them to discuss my Msc project so that I could prepare myself when the fall came. It's not about the project I want to do anymore because even though I knew exactly what I wanted to do, as soon as I was accepted, I was forced to do somethingelse while my 'dream project' went to someone else.

After about a week of doing nothing, I decided to let my supervisor know how I felt about whole situation, because I thought supervisor and student were in one ship together, not on opposite side. When I told my co-supervisor my honest feeling she questioned my trust and that the project doesn't matter for grad students. I really didn't think that was how supervisor saw grad students. It seemed that I was under the false impression when I sent my acceptance.

And then when I showed my interest in TAing, she said it wasn't a good idea and that I should be focusing on my research. IT'S OCTOBER and I haven't been to the lab single time for my research. Even when I told her about my financial situation and need for Taing, I don't think she thought it important enough. I was denied Taing this year and it was embarrassing, because it seemed like I was the only grad student not getting a position even after applying. I felt useless and invaluable asset to the lab and for school.

I thought grad school would be a major self-esteem booster and a place for enriching experience. With my supervisor just ignoring me these days (even when I say 'hello') I feel so depressed. I feel like I failed already. Failed at becoming a TA and failed myself. IT's just so suffocating.

Sometimes I think why am I putting myself through this, but quitting after 1 month doesn't suit me. And I don't know what I will do and to be honest, really want to go to medschool in Canada so I don't want to do things that would jeopardize my chance.

So... I think it's best if I finish my project early (That is if I am allowed to go to lab) and finish my thesis little earlier than 2 years.

When I see med students who used to be my classmates walking around campus, it kills me again with envy and jealousy.

I tried to be optimistic lot of times, and I do things because I want to contribute to something and not wasting my time doing nothing. However, sometimes, its so hard not to stare at harsh reality.

The point is, if you are not in situation like I am right now, you are better off. Think positively, now, that's all you can do, but it may help alleviate pain.

I am sorry to hear all these awful stories. Grad school definately shouldn't be like this for anyone.

May I ask what schools you go to, Gradstudent and inspi(red)?

@inspired: wow that blows, I never heard of a prof doing that. One of the reasons I stuck with my undergrad thesis prof for my masters was because I trusted him and knew exactly what kind of person he was. Screw your prof, you should apply to TA positions if you want to. Don't worry about not getting a TA position, in some departments its hard to get, especially if you are a first year masters.

Re: Satsuma and GoReds

I suppose its easy to make a judgement about another person's attitude or level of drive/effort if you don't know them or their situation. My level of dismay has little to do with having a poor attitude or being lazy.

I didn`t mean to imply that you were lazy are had a bad attitude.

Simply stating that in grad school you have to self-start. For some, this is a bit of an adjustment since in undergrad expectations are clearly outlined.

So it sounds like you already know your project - is the design etc already outlined? When you say work is at a standstill does that mean that there is concern it might not get approved and you don`t want to spend time working on that particular topic until it is officially approved?

Because if not...then this could be a great time to start working on the intro and methods sections of your thesis.

If you really can't find anything to do for your thesis, and you are so bored, maybe you can talk to your supervisor. Often supervisors have data laying around and you could maybe at least start analyzing it and get a paper out of it while you wait. Or maybe research just isn`t your thing. Only you can know.

I didn`t mean to imply that you were lazy are had a bad attitude.

Simply stating that in grad school you have to self-start. For some, this is a bit of an adjustment since in undergrad expectations are clearly outlined.

So it sounds like you already know your project - is the design etc already outlined? When you say work is at a standstill does that mean that there is concern it might not get approved and you don`t want to spend time working on that particular topic until it is officially approved?

Because if not...then this could be a great time to start working on the intro and methods sections of your thesis.

If you really can't find anything to do for your thesis, and you are so bored, maybe you can talk to your supervisor. Often supervisors have data laying around and you could maybe at least start analyzing it and get a paper out of it while you wait. Or maybe research just isn`t your thing. Only you can know.

I agree here. Also.. I wouldn't be so concerned with what other students in your class know or what they don't know. Its irrelevant to your learning and development. So do you already know the methods your using theoretically inside out? You understand and know the entire body of research that preceded you which is probably close to 50+ years of research? How are your presentation skills.. if not strong I would work on that.. Have you had your committee meetings? If not there are proposals and presentations that need to be made.. I am not trying to be a jerk here.. but just shed some light on what good grad students do to be successful. Unfortunately, unlike undergrad, you have to take account for your own education here...

I feel like I made all the possible wrong turn while trying hard to make best of anything.

First, the thesis I thought I would be doing turn out to be not a plausible research project. It's not like I was duped or anything, but I felt little bitter in finding out after a week I started, because during summer I was requesting a meeting with them to discuss my Msc project so that I could prepare myself when the fall came. It's not about the project I want to do anymore because even though I knew exactly what I wanted to do, as soon as I was accepted, I was forced to do somethingelse while my 'dream project' went to someone else.

After about a week of doing nothing, I decided to let my supervisor know how I felt about whole situation, because I thought supervisor and student were in one ship together, not on opposite side. When I told my co-supervisor my honest feeling she questioned my trust and that the project doesn't matter for grad students. I really didn't think that was how supervisor saw grad students. It seemed that I was under the false impression when I sent my acceptance.

And then when I showed my interest in TAing, she said it wasn't a good idea and that I should be focusing on my research. IT'S OCTOBER and I haven't been to the lab single time for my research. Even when I told her about my financial situation and need for Taing, I don't think she thought it important enough. I was denied Taing this year and it was embarrassing, because it seemed like I was the only grad student not getting a position even after applying. I felt useless and invaluable asset to the lab and for school.

I thought grad school would be a major self-esteem booster and a place for enriching experience. With my supervisor just ignoring me these days (even when I say 'hello') I feel so depressed. I feel like I failed already. Failed at becoming a TA and failed myself. IT's just so suffocating.

Sometimes I think why am I putting myself through this, but quitting after 1 month doesn't suit me. And I don't know what I will do and to be honest, really want to go to medschool in Canada so I don't want to do things that would jeopardize my chance.

So... I think it's best if I finish my project early (That is if I am allowed to go to lab) and finish my thesis little earlier than 2 years.

When I see med students who used to be my classmates walking around campus, it kills me again with envy and jealousy.

I tried to be optimistic lot of times, and I do things because I want to contribute to something and not wasting my time doing nothing. However, sometimes, its so hard not to stare at harsh reality.

The point is, if you are not in situation like I am right now, you are better off. Think positively, now, that's all you can do, but it may help alleviate pain.

That is a terrible story. Unfortunately.. there are a lot of PI's out there that live up to your description. But, there are also a lot of good PI's as well. I would look to get transfered out of your lab. A colleague who is currently finishing is PhD in my lab transferred from a PI similar to yours. Speak with your graduate counselor.. Trust me, your PI will not want this to happen and their attitude may all of a sudden change. I think whether it does or does not.. get out.. you will eventually need a letter and I wouldn't want to take chances with your supervisor. It is easier said then done, but this will not have any negative effect on your graduate status. Good Luck.

Re: Satsuma & GoReds

To address your points:

- The project that my thesis is a retrospective chart review. As I pointed out earlier, REB approval has not yet been granted, and thus, I do not have the data which is required to even begin the study. The information from the charts will be compiled and compared through the use of Microsoft Access (and before either of you start telling me to pick up a manual on Microsoft Access - I've worked with the program in a professional capacity for several years and thus am not foreign to the software)

- As for doing back-reading on the subject of my work - the population that I will be studying has only recently been identified and therefore the body of knowledge currently available is extremely limited - its one of the reasons that my supervisors chose to work within the area in the first place.

- For your information, I had a meeting with my supervisors today literally begging them to give me work - they just don't have anything. My one supervisor is going off on maternity leave and the other won't have anything for me to do until her new equipment arrives - which won't be for at least another month or so. Once the lab is set up, I'll be able to work on calibrating the new hardware.

Finally, I find it rather offensive to be lectured about the importance of being a self-starter and taking account for my own education. My grad school acceptances weren't handed to me on a silver platter - I worked my butt off to get to where I am today and I would say quite confidently that I understand the importance of taking responsibility of myself and my future.

Side bar: ^ chill bill, I think they were only trying to provide some insight with the very few details of your life they could extract from your first message. I am sure no one is trying to imply that you are lazy or not a self starter, clearly you couldn't have made it this far if you weren't a motivated person :).

On topic. I knew a girl who dropped out in her sixth year of her PhD b/c her PI was a complete ass and her lab technician was an utter bully. From what I have observed abt grad school there is less accountability with PIs as opposed to profs where a collective can speak out against an unjust prof.

Re: Satsuma & GoReds

- As for doing back-reading on the subject of my work - the population that I will be studying has only recently been identified and therefore the body of knowledge currently available is extremely limited - its one of the reasons that my supervisors chose to work within the area in the first place.

The population you are studying is irrelevant. As a grad student, you are required to know about all populations studied to date that have used anything remotely similar to the methods and techniques you will use. I don't know the nature of your research, but I am sure there is a lot to read. New fields to not pop up overnight.

I am sorry you took offense to this. I am only providing advice that I know helped me succeed through my graduate program. Another suggestion.. learn how to take criticism without being offended.. you will get A LOT of it in grad school, and also medicine. But again.. just a suggestion.. take it how you want..

Ok GradStudent2009

You asked for advice and we took the time to share things that we felt would be helpful - without knowing anything about your project etc. They are just general helpful ideas.

I find it offensive that you are now taking issue with this advice.

I think you will find it difficult to elicit advice from people if you are just going to attack them afterward.

So best of luck in your decisions, but I am done here.

It seems that you did a piss poor job of choosing your grad program (no offense). I have no idea what retrospective chart reviews are but it sounds like you're analyzing previously gathered data. How stimulating did you imagine that to be? Unless you're the person asking the questions and gathering the data, you're just a glorified computer. This no one's fault except your own. You can blame the REB (w/e that is) for not approving your project but didn't you know it was an unapproved project before you went into it? Especially if this is a PhD and not just a masters.

I haven't been following this thread closely, so I don't know what's really going on after my most recent posts... but my advice to you: if you're hating your project and it's early into the program, sometimes they will let you switch supervisors. Talk to your departmental office.

If you are just starting your program you really should have alot on your plate right now.

Right! I just started with a well defined project, but I can barely keep up... With the classes, teaching, applications for funding, collaborations with other students, the reading... OMG, the reading... I thought I read alot of articles during undergrad. Turns out it was like reading the back of cereal boxes compared to the reading I have to do now! :eek: I guess it all depends on your particular situation...

In regards to Satsuma's suggestion of applying for funding - I'm not eligible for the major awards and therefore cannot apply. I am in my first year of a direct PhD entry - as such, I do not meet the minimum 12-months of study required to apply to CIHR.

Hum... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can apply to the master's award if you got into a PhD right after undergrad. You can tranfer your payments for your PhD and then apply next year for the PhD funding.

Inspi(red): Get out. Now. You need to be motivated in order to be successful. I don't see how that will happen with that supervisor. As others have pointed out, there are ways to change supervisor, and the sooner the better. You're lucky: you have not started your project yet. It is the perfect time to find someone else who is really interested in helping you succeed.

Archived