Premed 101 Forums

Lowest MCAT to get accepted @ UT

Lets say a 3rd year undergrad with 3.95 GPA have exceptional research (preparing/finishing up a paper) and extra-curricular activities (10+ yrs of volunteer, and significant other leadership/university club/international service experiences, what is the minimum score they need to get accepted?

If a student doesn't meet the 9/9/9/N requirement, what are their chances? (i.e. mid 20 MCAT with 6 MCAT or something)

I will probably get an exceptional reference letter as well and my essay seems to be great as well.

So basically a great 3rd year applicant with low MCAT and low verbal being their only flaw (9-10 PS/ 6 VR/ 9-10 BS/ and Q-R writing)

I am getting my scores back after the deadline and I want to find out my chances now.

Does anyone have insight into this? Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate it :)

Lets say a 3rd year undergrad with 3.95 GPA have exceptional research (preparing/finishing up a paper) and extra-curricular activities (10+ yrs of volunteer, and significant other leadership/university club/international service experiences, what is the minimum score they need to get accepted?

If a student doesn't meet the 9/9/9/N requirement, what are their chances? (i.e. mid 20 MCAT with 6 MCAT or something)

I will probably get an exceptional reference letter as well and my essay seems to be great as well.

So basically a great 3rd year applicant with low MCAT and low verbal being their only flaw (9-10 PS/ 6 VR/ 9-10 BS/ and Q-R writing)

I am getting my scores back after the deadline and I want to find out my chances now.

Does anyone have insight into this? Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate it :)

No one here can really know...and I'm no expert, but I suspect that as a 3rd year applicant, a flagged MCAT may be enough to sink you.

I just grabbed this from the MCAT boards on this website, from the MCAT rewrite etc. sticky

It is apparently the stats for u of t mcat of accepted students

Minimum Median Maximum

Verbal Reasoning 7 10 14

Physical Sciences 8 11 14

Biological Sciences 9 12 14

Writing Sample M Q T

edit: this is apparently for 2007 just in case it matters

has anyone heard of applicants like this getting into medical school?

What about chances in OTTAWA or McMASTER? I would think that there would be 0% chance for McMaster but what about Ottawa?

Is it extremely difficult for even the top 3rd year student w/ 3.95 GPA to not get accepted? Thanks guys!! :)

Are you using your common sense here or did you hear that from someone at UT? just curious

At Mac, verbal is 32% of your evaluation. So think about that. A lot of HealthSci students would have around 3.95. You'd prolly have a good shot if they used last year's admission method tho.

Ottawa almost rarely takes 3rd yr applicants.

For UT you might have a shot.

At Mac, verbal is 32% of your evaluation. So think about that. A lot of HealthSci students would have around 3.95. You'd prolly have a good shot if they used last year's admission method tho.

Ottawa almost rarely takes 3rd yr applicants.

For UT you might have a shot. Is ur 3.95 weighted or just OMSAS? I know some 4th year applicant with your stats who didn't get in UT.

Hey Prion, thanks for your reply. the 3.95 is NOT the weighted GPA, but the raw GPA including all the courses ive taken thus far. Weighted GPA will be closer to something like 3.97/3.98

I am feeling pretty positive that I got around 6 in verbal, as I really didn't perform well that day. Other than the writing section, I'm thinking 9 in Bio and 10 MAYBE 11 in Physical (I was averaging 14-15 in Physical btw...)

I am currently writing/gathering all the data to submit for a publication and have extensive volunteer experience. Is that not enough to overcome the low verbal mark that i might get?

I am hoping that I can somehow overcome the verbal mark!

Well if you have a 6 in verbal, theres probably no chance. Look at the trends, the lowest anyone has ever been accepted into UofT from the past 3-4 years is a 7 in verbal. On their website, it even says if you have lower than a 7, you should really consider rewritting the mcat

I just grabbed this from the MCAT boards on this website, from the MCAT rewrite etc. sticky

It is apparently the stats for u of t mcat of accepted students

Minimum Median Maximum

Verbal Reasoning 7 10 14

Physical Sciences 8 11 14

Biological Sciences 9 12 14

Writing Sample M Q T

edit: this is apparently for 2007 just in case it matters

MCAT Statistics - 2009 Entering Class

Minimum Median Maximum

Verbal Reasoning 7 10 14

Physical Sciences 8 11 15

Biological Sciences 9 11 15

Writing Sample M Q T

Hey Prion, thanks for your reply. the 3.95 is

I am feeling pretty positive that I got around 6 in verbal, as I really didn't perform well that day. Other than the writing section, I'm thinking 9 in Bio and 10 MAYBE 11 in Physical (I was averaging 14-15 in Physical btw...)

Anyone who knows me would say that I'm the kind of guy who always believes that all things are possible, and I'm never one to shoot down a dream. Having said that, if you have a 6 on VR, that should automatically knock you out of the running. For now.

If I was on an admissions committee, the first question I would ask is why hasn't this applicant had another go at the MCAT?

Remember that your dream is alive and kicking: you have an excellent GPA. The only thing standing between you and your ultimate goal is a better MCAT result. Why not do some more prep work and retake the test? Odds are that you WILL do better and you will get into med school. All things considered, there are lots of people who would trade places with you. :P

Hey Prion, thanks for your reply. the 3.95 is NOT the weighted GPA, but the raw GPA including all the courses ive taken thus far. Weighted GPA will be closer to something like 3.97/3.98

Since the OP is about UofT, you should be aware that if you are applying as a 3rd year, the wGPA calculation does not apply. UofT is using the wGPA (dropping 1 full course/year) only if you are applying starting from your 4th year .

I agree with everybody else saying that with a 6 VR there is no chance in hell that you'll be getting an interview (personal opinion).

Let me add something here.

A 3.95 gpa (which is decent) and a mid 20s MCAT?!?! With a 6 on verbal. If that truly ends up being your score, no MCAT school will look at you (nor would almost any US school). Your GPA is also suspect. A 3.95 GPA with a mid 20s MCAT is flat out pathetic, and suggests bird courses galore.

Man, grade inflation is out of control (and yes...even my high 3.98 GPA is based on grade inflation compared to even 10 years ago, but I took tough courses at a tough university at least and had a 40+ MCAT to back it up).

haha , you're douchbaggery strikes again. It is refreshing though, to see people with such levels of ignorance.

I really, really, really believe that there is little correlation between MCAT scores and GPA. Besides, let's say a person majored in poli sci, was an outstanding student, but then realized he/she wanted medicine. Clearly the MCAT would be much more of a hurdle for him/her no?

Get off your pedestal man. Really.

Neuronix, the mcat is the single biggest determinent of medical shool success (especially verbal reasoning), and is the reason McMaster decided to bring it in (after years of research). The two are correlated though...a simple look at the AAMC data shows that high MCATS are clustered with high GPAs. It makes sense, but the two do not correlate perfectly. Bird programs and bird courses can raise GPAs falsely. Few people have 3.95 with a 24 MCAT - except those taking bird programs.

Neuronix, the mcat is the single biggest determinent of medical shool success (especially verbal reasoning), and is the reason McMaster decided to bring it in (after years of research). The two are correlated though...a simple look at the AAMC data shows that high MCATS are clustered with high GPAs. It makes sense, but the two do not correlate perfectly. Bird programs and bird courses can raise GPAs falsely. Few people have 3.95 with a 24 MCAT - except those taking bird programs.

I actually know a lot of really intelligent people in my program who had 3.9ish GPA's and low MCAT scores due to verbal. I'd like to see you try to argue that Biochem at McGill is a bird program.

Archived