Premed 101 Forums

Seminar courses

Guest ML

Are those "first-year seminar" courses at UT worth taking?

I want to do a double major in commerce and human bio, and I would also like to take one of those "first year seminar courses". If I do this, I would have 7 first year courses: Bio, Chem, Phys, Math, MGT, Econ, and that seminar course. UT only lets you have a maximum of six "100" level courses. So right now i'm thinking about not taking the seminar course.

Guest Ian Wong

What's the rush? Why not take a standard courseload for your first term, and see how well you react to the workload before trying what you are attempting? At the end of the day, if med school is your final goal, maintaining a very high GPA should be right up on your list of priorities. This will be significantly easier to do if you aren't frontloaded with additional work.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Akane200

If a high gpa is your goal, then don't take the seminar course. It doesn't give you any real advantage. It's a small group, which also means getting an A will be tougher (since most seminars are in humanities). You will get to know the prof a bit better, but I don't think that it's much of an advantage. You're better off doing research in the summer to get to know profs and supervisors. Seminars sound really good on paper, but if you get stuck in one that you don't like, than it can be really miserable.

Take Math, physics, bio, chem, and either mgt or econ (standard life science student course choices). Take 5 courses in first year and see how that goes. Do the other course mgt/eco during the summer and enrol in both programs. First year MGT courses are very very easy if you have background in accounting.

Commerce has a cut off gpa for entry (>3.0). If you do not receive guaranteed entry to the program from highschool, they only take the top 150 applicants to the program each year in addition to the guaranteed ones (about 1/5 get in).

Honestly, taking 6 courses is a lot heavier in terms of workload, and pretty unnecessary. Don't do this. It will be tough and no one really recognizes that you did 6 courses in one year. They'll just remember the marks.

Physics is a requirement for many life science programs. You should take this to give yourself more options to choose. Don't close doors for yourself ahead of time.

yeah...i'm gonna take physics....

Can I enter the Commerce Major in 2nd year instead of in first?

Which humanitites distribution courses are generally easy at UT?

Hey Ian, I went to your website and it said that you took 5.5 full year courses in first year...What was that like? Did you take AP or IB in high school?

Thanks for your responses!

I want to refrain from taking summer courses because I live in BC, and I don't wanna be at TO all year.

Generally, do universities accept summer courses from other institutions? I might want to take Intro to Econ at UBC during the summer.

Guest cheech10

They usually do accept courses from other universities in the summer, but summer courses often don't count in your GPA. Also, you have to remember to send transcripts for your summer courses along with your application when you do apply to med. Good luck with first year!

Hmm..

While looking at the course listings for Physics 138Y(Physics for the life sciences), it said that I had to be taking Math135Y(calculus) as a corequisite...Does that mean that I HAVE to take Calc with it, or can I take physics in second year if I've taken Calc in first year???

Thanks!

Is there ANY real disadvantage of taking a first-year course like Physics in second year?

Is that generally frowned down upon or something?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Guest Ian Wong

Med schools don't care when you take it, as long as you've taken it. The key is to take these courses at the time that is right for you. This will depend on the workload from your other courses, and perhaps things like how many extra-currics you are also doing, whether there are any pre or co-requisites for that class, and also perhaps even when you are planning on writing the MCAT.

Try to figure out when in which year would be best for your schedule and future plans to take Physics, and then just do it, and do it well. :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived