Premed 101 Forums

Shall I apply for DO schools?

dedemed

HI everyone,

I have a MCAT score of 28 (PS:8/VR: 9/BS:11).

My cGPA is 3.2 (with last three yrs of full course load of 3.75) and two years of hospital volunteer work.

I am applying to caribean schools but I was told by a friend that I should also apply to college of Osteopathic Medicine.

My question is what are the downsides of applying to DO schools and would it be possible to come back and practice in Canada with a DO degree.

THanks a lot.

dedemed

If you go to the student doctor forums and look up D.O. schools you will see that your GPA is too low for you to be competitive with a 28. You'll have to re-write your MCAT(and get above 30), and if you do really well you could also consider applying to American MD schools.

If you are in a hurry to get into medical school, then one of the big 4 Caribbean schools woud be your best shot. If not, you could do another year of undergrad, re-write MCAT, and then apply to Canada(especially schools that look at the most recent 2 yrs) as well as to American MD and DO schools next round.

Best of luck,

-uvicstudent

HI everyone,

I have a MCAT score of 28 (PS:8/VR: 9/BS:11).

My cGPA is 3.2 (with last three yrs of full course load of 3.75) and two years of hospital volunteer work.

I am applying to caribean schools but I was told by a friend that I should also apply to college of Osteopathic Medicine.

My question is what are the downsides of applying to DO schools and would it be possible to come back and practice in Canada with a DO degree.

THanks a lot.

dedemed

I think applying DO schools, and going that route is the BEST option for you. As mentioned elsewhere on this forum, and student doctor net (do a quick search), you will find that DOs are considered AMGs which have much better match rates than the dreaded caribbean IMGs. I say this to any person who asks whether they should apply DO, MD, or caribbean MD - you go to medical school to land a good residency. That being said, the title (MD vs. DO) you receive really doesn't matter. With DOs having equal practice rights in the US as MDs, all that matters is whether you land your dream residency. Your chances of getting your desired residency are much higher going to a US DO school (I found the stats, DOs have the same chances of landing into their first pick residency as Canadian graduated MDs applying to US residencies). I had a good gpa, but the VR section of the MCAT ruined all my attempts at the MCAT. So I applied DO, and got accepted. I never looked back, and will be a proud DO one day. Msg me if you got other concerns.

And yes, you can come back to Canada as a DO. In Ontario, DOs are considered to be equivalent to MDs, even the COMLEX is considered to be equivalent to the USMLEs. You should do some more research on DOs, all of this information I said can be easily found with a few google searches, or by looking up the college of physicians and surgeons website for Ontario.

Guest viscous
u can practice in ontario with a do?

really?i thought ud be stuck in the us forever....

if you can get a "MD" residency in the US after getting a DO, I do not think after finishing up your speciality you would be "stuck" in the US. Come back to Canada, work one year under the supervision of a senior (as my US grad (IMG) friend is doing in Brampton) and viola.

Ya, you can come back and practise in Ontario as a DO. Not only Ontario, DOs can practice in every Canadian province/ Territory except Manitoba I think. DOs have joined the Canadian forces. The easiest option is the Yukon territory lol, the testing requirements are the most lax, I think you can bypass a bunch of the MCC exams and practice medicine as a DO straight out of the US (or something along those lines).

Someone PMed me, but for disbelievers, look up Dr. Amy Wang D.O. on the CPSO ontario website under "search for a doctor" function. She's a family doctor that's based in Toronto. She graduated from an osteopathic medical school in New York in the 2000s. Roughly 260 Canadians get into US medical schools each year, of which 60 end up in DO schools. It's unfortunate that so many ppl reject the "DO" title out of hand, without even considering the benefits, then blindly choose to go Caribbean...

Ya, you can come back and practise in Ontario as a DO. Not only Ontario, DOs can practice in every Canadian province/ Territory except Manitoba I think.

Just don't count on getting a Canadian residency spot, if that's what you're planning on (although Ontario is one of two provinces where you can apply in the first round of CaRMS as a DO).

http://carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_prov_e.shtml

O, but I do plan on writing the MCCs and giving the Canadian MD graduates a run for their money. Family medicine is easiest to get into as a DO. If not, a FM/EM 3 year US residency followed by those new Ontario rules could land me back here in this province.

Archived