Premed 101 Forums

Number of sketch activities

Hey guys,

How many of you ended up filling all 48 spots for your sketch? I only used 30. It seems like little given there are 48 spots! How many did you guys have?

I used over 40.

But honestly, if I had to compare my sketch to others, I would say it is average at best. My sketch won't be what helps me secure an interview, it'll be my wGPA, personal statement and references.

I didn't use the 'Other' category, but I did use all the others (albeit disproportionately!).

• 2 weeks later...

Any opinions on how low one could go before it really becomes a big problem? For example if an applicant (with good GPA, MCAT, LOR etc) only lists 30 activities or 25 activities...

Safely assuming 48 activities is first prize and listing 1 activity would be a complete "no no," I'm wondering where the danger point is... <20? 25? 30?

Any opinions on how low one could go before it really becomes a big problem? For example if an applicant (with good GPA, MCAT, LOR etc) only lists 30 activities or 25 activities...

Safely assuming 48 activities is first prize and listing 1 activity would be a complete "no no," I'm wondering where the danger point is... <20? 25? 30?

That's not a good assumption.

20 quality, long term listings will trump 48 one day activities anyday.....IMO

I think I had 20-25 all together.

It is pretty hard to prepare for an interview when they can pull out 48 items at you. I only wanted items that I could spend 5-10mins talking about without stretching things :)

I only wanted items that I could spend 5-10mins talking about without stretching things

I also used this as a guide- "can I talk about this for 5 minute with an interviewer and have something legitimate to say?"

That being said... I did end up filling up 48 spots, lol... However, as a Master's student, I did have a lot to put under Research (conferences, posters, publications, all my past research experiences) and things like that.

As everyone keeps saying, don't worry so much about how many! If you think that something was important to you, taught you something, is something you could talk about (and explain the previous 2 points) I think that that is what's key.

I think I had 20-25 all together.

It is pretty hard to prepare for an interview when they can pull out 48 items at you. I only wanted items that I could spend 5-10mins talking about without stretching things :)

It sounds like a good rule - choosing activities you could talk about for 5 minutes but you could be shortchanging yourself.

For instance, I volunteered on Foot Patrol for 3 years. Basically, we walked residents home at night. Now, there is no way in hell I can talk about this for 5 minutes. It's an extremely simple concept. You walk people home at night so they feel/are safer.

I listed this and had no hesitation.

If I get asked, I'd explain it in perhaps a minute max and i would not feel bad about giving such a brief description. I actually think it is worse if you try to make things sound more complicated than they really are.

That's just my take. I know if i was an interviewer, someone who bull****s would really tick me off, as opposed to a candid answer.

I guess it comes down to what your comfort level is but if you list 40+ items and talk about each for 5 min, I'm sorry but I'm calling bull**** in 95% of cases

Basically, some things can be important and very simple and i know i don't feel bad about that

I guess the key is to always be comfortable in your own skin, translation, being able to respond naturally and perhaps with enthusiasm to any question about our activities. The Foot Patrol played a very important function in the lives of others and the fact that you performed this for 3 years speaks volumes. Yes, the concept of keep it simple is good.

Hi all, I'm new and won't be applying for a year at least so I'm still doing research but could anyone clarify what this '48 slot' discussion is about? I'm guessing that you get some sort of form when you applying through OMSAS, asking you to fill out extra curricular activities with a maximum of 48?

If so, then :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hi all, I'm new and won't be applying for a year at least so I'm still doing research but could anyone clarify what this '48 slot' discussion is about? I'm guessing that you get some sort of form when you applying through OMSAS, asking you to fill out extra curricular activities with a maximum of 48?

If so, then :eek: :eek: :eek:

When you apply through OMSAS, you will see the form. Some applicants are concerned that it is a numbers game and they want to fill in all the numbers. However, it is all about quality and not quantity. For yor purposes, and for all practical purposes, forget it. Just do well with your GPA and carry on with whatever ECs and volunteering that interest you or you are passio0nate about. Adcoms like to know that there is some longterm dedication and commitment to responsible activities that show either or a combination of leadership, compassion, initiaitve and similar qualities and if you have had some contact with patients sich that you have validated your career choice even better. At the end of the day, it is all a lottery and mother luck plays an important role in the process - assuming you are fine with MCAT, GPA, ECs, volunteering, Personal Statement and/or ABS Questions (from Mac) and that you get some interviews. Enjoy the journey!:P

When you apply through OMSAS, you will see the form. Some applicants are concerned that it is a numbers game and they want to fill in all the numbers. However, it is all about quality and not quantity. For yor purposes, and for all practical purposes, forget it. Just do well with your GPA and carry on with whatever ECs and volunteering that interest you or you are passio0nate about. Adcoms like to know that there is some longterm dedication and commitment to responsible activities that show either or a combination of leadership, compassion, initiaitve and similar qualities and if you have had some contact with patients sich that you have validated your career choice even better. At the end of the day, it is all a lottery and mother luck plays an important role in the process - assuming you are fine with MCAT, GPA, ECs, volunteering, Personal Statement and/or ABS Questions (from Mac) and that you get some interviews. Enjoy the journey!:P

Thanks very much for the welcome and info!

I'm actual a new migrant to Canada and I was placed directly into second year at UofT Life Sciences (because my last year of High School in Sri Lanka is apparently equivalent to first year of uni here). I've always been a very good student in the past and was expecting the same here.

Disastrously, the first two mid sems have come with marks of 71 and 74% which are outrageously low. I'm blown away and am practically studying all the time now to make up for it. Since I was put directly into second year, I don't have the chance of dropping courses etc when calculating my GPA for med school.

Uni work is very different from all forms of prior education! It seems that I need above 90% in each subject to get a perfect OMSAS GPA so I'm aiming for that. Since I'm new, I don't have many ECs at all but I'm trying to find some volunteer work in downtown Toronto. No time, no time!

To add to the thread itself,

I had the pleasure of meeting Mrs. Leslie Taylor this week at UTSC and she told me that they are mostly looking for long term commitment in EC activities rather than a long list.

In regards to my geographical shifts across the globe, she told me not to worry and that the panel would take into consideration that I lived in several different countries in the recent past and so could not accumulate any long term volunteer work so far.

Leon, the transition from h.s. in Canada to UG is difficult and often, there is a drop in grades. I cannot imagine how brutal the transition is for you directly into 2nd year UG swhile coming from another country, lieterally overnight. It is good and comforting that you were able to speak to admissions officer Taylor (I am still waiting for a reply to my email to U/T adcoms ofrom months ago - they are notorious for ignoring emails whereas other med schools reply w/i 48 hours). So, you were given perspective.

A high GPA is absolutely the key for you. Given that youo started at 2nd year UG, for U/T med school, ooyou will only satisfy their weighted GPA ruloe after you complete your degree. In other words, oooyou will be able to drop some of oyour lower grades, thereby raising your GPA for purposes of consideration to U/T med school but only if you apply there after you have graduated, meaning there would be a gap year. So, if you don't get into med school directly from graduation, then oyour chances will be enhanced at U/T the following year.

Also, I think (but do not know for sure) you will likely ben entitled to some special conseration - given your very unique history of being thrown into 2nd year as a new immigrant. I trust that you are a permanent resident of Canada if not yet a citizen. I wish you well and m any here will gladly support you with any concerns.

Thanks again, futuredoc. May we all adopt that user name!

I arrived here in July this year and it was very very difficult to get the admission into UofT secured in such a small time period. Actually, I applied on the (extended) closing date! Fortunately, I got in. I'm planning on transferring to the downtown campus next year as it is supposed to be better.

Fortunately for me, my High School followed the British Advanced Level syllabus which is, indeed, relatively advanced. I already know some of the stuff they're doing in second year now and the Admission Office granted me 4.5 transfer credits for my h. s. work.

I'm not eager on a gap year. For various immigration reasons, I already had a gap year between h. s. and uni. I realize that I can't drop course grades if I apply at the beginning of fourth year but that is nevertheless my plan. Despite terrible mid sems, the courses are still save-able. :D

I'm been browsing this site and thanking all the gods that exist for stumbling across it.

Special consideration? Hmm. Sounds interesting. Mrs Taylor did say that they would take into account my shifting around when they look at the short term-ness of my ECs.

PS: Yep I'm a Canadian Perm Resident. International student fees, even for undergraduate work, are brutal. Not yet a citizen though.

/sorry for hijacking the thread with my personal stories!

Leon, you have accomplished miracles and may this continue! Yes, the British system (A Levels, I presume) is a mixed blessing for you. Mixed b/c you are now under the gun to produce amazing marks to make you a competitive candidiate for med school (with one arm already tied behind yo0ur back). I understand fully that you don't want a gap year. However, you will need a Plan B should you not get into med school directly upon completion of your UG. And you cannot apply in the middle of Masters studies, so if you are doing a 2 year Masters, you cannot apply to medo dxuring the first year of the Masters program.

Archived