Premed 101 Forums

Fulltime status?!?

Hey just wondering if im still considered fulltime if I'm only taking 4 courses? Im at OttawaU and im still classified as a fulltime student if im taking 4 courses per semester. I haven't done this before but I have this really bad prof for a chem class and I really dont want it hurting my GPA, I still have the course but thinking of dropping it (Nov 2 is the deadline to withdraw without penalty). How would this apply to other schools? Has anyone does this before? Thanks :)

you should be ok for all medschools in ontario except uofottawa... this is what they say:

"A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) full-year courses is taken is accepted and counted in the WGPA calculation only if the missing course/credit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course."

so you need to take another full year course in the summer or in another academic year

Hey just wondering if im still considered fulltime if I'm only taking 4 courses? Im at OttawaU and im still classified as a fulltime student if im taking 4 courses per semester. I haven't done this before but I have this really bad prof for a chem class and I really dont want it hurting my GPA, I still have the course but thinking of dropping it (Nov 2 is the deadline to withdraw without penalty). How would this apply to other schools? Has anyone does this before? Thanks :)

It does happen all the time, so don't worry about that :)

You might want to look at U of T's drop a course policy as well, and western will not consider a year with less than 5.0 courses in it.

Doing 6 courses next term if you drop a course this term by the way would remove both of the above "issues". If you are doing really bad it is general a good idea to drop the course regardless (GPA is king after all) but still there are effects.

I know, I know - this question gets asked over and over. But, I thought I read somehwere that Queens considers three courses as full-time. Is this correct? I did my first year in two part time years with the second part-time year having three classes each semester (I was HEAVILY involved in athletics). This year, however, I am full-time (5 courses) and feel much less busy than last year. Are there any other schools where 3 courses counts as full-time?

I know, I know - this question gets asked over and over. But, I thought I read somehwere that Queens considers three courses as full-time. Is this correct? I did my first year in two part time years with the second part-time year having three classes each semester (I was HEAVILY involved in athletics). This year, however, I am full-time (5 courses) and feel much less busy than last year. Are there any other schools where 3 courses counts as full-time?

Pretty much Queens is it really - but in your case I don't see the part time year thing probably isn't that much of a barrier. In end you will still be able to apply to most of the schools and you have an explanation for your part time status.

Archived