Premed 101 Forums

Input on School Selection, Please

I'm thinking of applying to a couple of American schools in addition to Canadian schools to increase my chances of getting an acceptance. I wish stay in Canada provided I have a choice, so I am not looking to get into the top American schools (I doubt I can anyway). I just want a back up. With this in mind, could you please take a look at my list and let me know which ones are in my league and also, which ones that are safety's?

My stats are as follows:

MCAT: 36P (14P,10VR, 12B)

AMCAS cGPA: 3.90

Extracurriculars: The usual... summer research fellowships, hospital volunteering, mentorship, leadership positions in clubs, and a couple other smaller things

The list (loosely ranked from hardest to get into to easiest):

Yale (The first couple seem highly unlikely to me...are they?)

Northwestern

U Chicago

Hopkins

Harvard

Cornell

Mayo

Columbia

Mount Sinai

Duke

Tufts

New York University

Upenn

Vanderbilt

Darthmouth

Albert Einstein (Yeshiva)

Case Western

Boston

SUNY

Wake Forest

Stony Brook

Rosalind Franklin

Wayne State

Albany

Michigan state

Thanks for your help :)

Oops, should have stated that I'm looking to apply next year.

Also, I should elaborate on my OP. If I can't make it into schools like UT or McGill, which American schools should I automatically write off?

with stats like that, you have a great chance at a canadian school or possibly mid to upper tier US school.

Why would you waste your time with:

SUNY

Stony Brook

Rosalind Franklin

Wayne State

Albany

I guess I'm looking at those in case I completely bomb everything else. I haven't done my homework on American applications, but most of these schools use the AMCAS application right? So it wouldn't actually be more time, but more money? Or am I missing something here?

Oops, should have stated that I'm looking to apply next year.

Also, I should elaborate on my OP. If I can't make it into schools like UT or McGill, which American schools should I automatically write off?

I guess I'm looking at those in case I completely bomb everything else. I haven't done my homework on American applications, but most of these schools use the AMCAS application right? So it wouldn't actually be more time, but more money? Or am I missing something here?

Most US schools use AMCAS except for Texas which has its own system. US applications are daunting because of all the secondaries you have to do. If you do not know yet, secondaries are follow up applications sent to you by schools after you submit your AMCAS application (primary). Each secondary you submit costs money ($50-$100/secondary) above and beyond AMCAS (costs around $160 for one app, then around $40 for each individual school added). Most secondaries are time consuming too. They are essay type questions that require a lot of thinking and effort if you want to get an interview. Probably a lot of applicants who apply broadly would agree that applying to the US is like a full time job in a way.

Your stats look good and I think you should get accepted to Canadian schools. If you don't you are pretty much guaranteed interviews to american schools if you apply next year (this year might be too late)

The MCAT "P" will be cut out some CDN schools. The US should give you some interviews, but just make sure you have some extracurriculars and medical field volunteering to back up your apps

Take out Uchicago, Upenn and Tufts unless you did your undergrad at a US school. They'll just take your money and reject you on the basis of you being Canadian (stats don't matter).

I second Hackintosh's suggestion to add Jefferson. It is a fantastic school, they accept a lot of ppl each year, and they seem to be very CDN friendly.

Also, if you're going into this with the mindset that the American school will automatically be a "back-up" to any CDN school - that list might be too long. Like Keith said, it's a full-time job filling out that many American secondaries. You will be working hard for at least a month getting through the list. And then when you get interviews (which you will with those stats) you will be spending a lot of time sitting in airports, driving, and hanging out solo at hotels in US cities. I'm not trying to discourage you, I think the American schools are great - but if you've already decided to look at American schools strictly as a backup to Canada, you might be wasting time/money applying to THAT many schools. Maybe read up on ones that really interest you and apply to 2 in each "difficulty tier" of school? i.e Yale,Cornell at a reach, NYU, Boston in the mid-range, then SUNY and Wayne as backups? A lot of people say to apply broadly, but I think if you've already decided you'd prefer a CDN school, that list is just too long. I wish you the best of luck and I hope this helps you out - with those stats you'll definitely get in somewhere if you're smart about applying. Apply early too!

Take out Uchicago, Upenn and Tufts unless you did your undergrad at a US school. They'll just take your money and reject you on the basis of you being Canadian (stats don't matter).

I second Hackintosh's suggestion to add Jefferson. It is a fantastic school, they accept a lot of ppl each year, and they seem to be very CDN friendly.

Also, if you're going into this with the mindset that the American school will automatically be a "back-up" to any CDN school - that list might be too long. Like Keith said, it's a full-time job filling out that many American secondaries. You will be working hard for at least a month getting through the list. And then when you get interviews (which you will with those stats) you will be spending a lot of time sitting in airports, driving, and hanging out solo at hotels in US cities. I'm not trying to discourage you, I think the American schools are great - but if you've already decided to look at American schools strictly as a backup to Canada, you might be wasting time/money applying to THAT many schools. Maybe read up on ones that really interest you and apply to 2 in each "difficulty tier" of school? i.e Yale,Cornell at a reach, NYU, Boston in the mid-range, then SUNY and Wayne as backups? A lot of people say to apply broadly, but I think if you've already decided you'd prefer a CDN school, that list is just too long. I wish you the best of luck and I hope this helps you out - with those stats you'll definitely get in somewhere if you're smart about applying. Apply early too!

+1...couldn't have said it better myself! It takes ALOT of work to do applications. Apply early and apply smart...you'll definitely get in somewhere. Good luck!

+1...couldn't have said it better myself! It takes ALOT of work to do applications. Apply early and apply smart...you'll definitely get in somewhere. Good luck!

+2

for me, my application was a second job in the summer. It really takes alot out of you and I'm really hoping that it pays off over the next 3-4 months.

Archived